I got a little too cocky...

Options
So these past few weeks of using MFP have been almost too easy. I've earned my exercise calories and have had no trouble staying under my calorie limit (very rarely even using my exercise calories), and have not felt deprived at all. To top things off, I am FINALLY losing weight after months of trying. MFP is really working for me...I like seeing all the calories laid out in front of me, and I don't know...things were just clicking. UNTIL. I had to go grocery shopping the other day. I'm a big bargain shopper, and I was going to have a houseful of kids this weekend and they had several good deals on cheese doodle, chips, Oreos cakesters, etc. I didn't think that having this food in the house would affect me, but it really has. I thought that I was doing really well and I wasn't thinking much about food anymore, but ever since Friday, I've been sooo hungry. And I'm not going crazy on the junk food, but I can't stop thinking about it and I have eaten a little bit just to stop the craving. I don't like wasting the calories on these foods, but most of all what I don't like is not being able to be around them without thinking about them! I just want to feel normal, and I feel like such a failure, and I'm afraid to get on the scale tomorrow, and I just don't want things to BE like this. I know the obvious answer is not to keep these foods in the house, and I get that, but I just feel rotten that I can't even treat my kids for a weekend without turning into an obsessed junk food freak. :(

Replies

• maryrshstattoo
    maryrshstattoo Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    when the hungry hits eat a small salad and curb it have a bottle of water. I think of the junk food as a lb on my hip and just don't want it back it took so much work to get it off. So I go eat something healthy and it takes care of the craving. Good luck.
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I can't keep any type of junk food in my house or I'll eat it, no matter how good I'm doing, even if I'm not hungry. I look at it as a good thing; when I have kids, having junk in the house will prevent me from feeding it to them.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself hunni, it's a hard habit to break, and besides, junk food tastes NICE!! :laugh:

We are all obsessed about oreo's etc and yes, the easiest way to overcome our obsession, is to not buy it! But this isn't a cure, its just the romoval of the symptom! The cure will take a much longer time!

The ethos of MFP is to eat everything in moderation. That's the first step to curing the overeating. Make sure you dont feel deprived. Eventually old habits will die and be taken over by new, healthy habits. But it's a slow process.

One step at a time. I think you did good in recognising that you dont NEED to go crazy on the junk food. And if you fill up on healthy choices, espcially protein and fibre, you wont feel hungry and you will naturally lower the temptation of a carb attack! But lets be realistic, not many of us are going to live the rest of our lives without an oreo! :wink:

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    dont know if this helps or not. I am the same way, i buy junk food that i dont like; cause iknow i cant know it is there and not put it in my mouth. also think of this way, the junk food isnt healthy for the kiddos either. just my 2 cents