Body Image

Options
I’m just curious if anyone else is having this issue. I have been finding it really awkward when people compliment me on my weight loss. It is so different to be told how good you look when all my life I had been talked negatively about.
Looking in the mirror while I see a smaller Mary my mind just isn’t computing it. It like all of a sudden I am hyper critical of this roll or that loose skin or the God for bid new wrinkle in my face since the skin is loser. These very things were my undoing last time I lost this much weight and I don’t want it to happen again. I think it would help to know if anyone else is going thru this. It also just helps to get it out in the open. What a journey this is. It is liking getting to know a new me.

Replies

• Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Yeah i feel the same since i have a way to go yet it also bums me out. Makes me sad that I got that out of shape to begin with :(
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I just find it difficult to acknowlege in a not-awkward way. I see what I've accomplished and am proud of myself and even proud that others not, but talking about my body so specifically, it feels a little like being naked.
  • melanie92
    melanie92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It will get better! I'm having a little-old-lady-neck problem right now because of my weight loss. I sigh when I look in the mirror, but I know my skin will tighten up over time.

Enjoy the compliments and don't let the wrinkles get you down! Some people post that they use Jergen's or Pond's Firming lotion, or some brand like that, and it works really well. I'm planning to try it myself!
  • jim0822
    Options
    I know how you feel. Try this - every time someone gives you a compliment, say to yourself (and really mean it!) - "I deserve that compliment! I deserve to look and feel great! I am worthy!!!" Know that the wonderful you who has always been there on the inside is now manifesting itself on the outside - you're ready to emerge from your safe coccoon - spend your wings and fly, you beautiful butterfly! :flowerforyou:
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    It's really interesting what you wrote. When we're hypercritical about something, we also believe or think that others are too.

I relate to the wrinkle issue. I got my first sunspot on my face this year and was angry! It didn't help that my husband noticed it too. But, what I realized is that the only two people who notices were the two of us. I thought everyone else was looking at it - and no one was!!!

Now, people are noticing the positive changes in you and you are looking at the negatives. This seems like a more complex issue that you may want to explore. Make a list of all the positives you see, focus on your strengths and the challenges you've overcome.