Gained 20 pounds in a month. How fast to lose it?

Options
2»

Replies

• fashiongal88
    Options
    So this is kind of what you want to follow to do it in a healthy way for your body. This if from http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/bmr/ with your stats.

Based on how much activity you do on an average day, the calories in the right column will be the number of calories that you will be able to eat at your goal weight. If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person. As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down. It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point.

Activity Level Daily Calories

Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1798
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2060
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2322
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2584
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2846

1700 calories seems a lot. :/
  • fashiongal88
    Options
    Going onto 1200 is good for say 2 weeks, keeping fat low (around 5%) and drinking lots of water. They say its not good to remain on that low calories for extended periods of time, otherwise our body apparently ends up going into 'starvation mode', 1200 is a great booster for the start of weight loss, then 1400-1500 per day is still really good for weight loss too. And it is easier to maintain at that level too, it doesnt feel as restricted. Remember don't forget your calcium, 3/4 pint of milk is approx 200 calories so you could still EAT 1200 then drink milk to bring to 1400, it will keep you feeling fuller and maintain good calcium levels.

That's a good idea. I need a jump start and then I will increase calories once I can train my body to run again. Two months ago I could easily run a few miles. Yesterday I could barely run without being out of breath and sluggish. It's very terrifying how a body can easily get out of shape in such a short time. I stopped physical activity for a month and look what happened :(
  • fashiongal88
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the support! I know that I haven't been healthy but it makes me sad to know that people around me haven't said a word. At least I know I can have some encouragement here. I know it's been only day 1 of healthy eating but I feel optimistic.

I'm hoping I will be back to normal by the end of September. I will keep everyone posted! :)
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    So this is kind of what you want to follow to do it in a healthy way for your body. This if from http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/bmr/ with your stats.

Based on how much activity you do on an average day, the calories in the right column will be the number of calories that you will be able to eat at your goal weight. If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person. As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down. It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point.

Activity Level Daily Calories

Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1798
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2060
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2322
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2584
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2846

1700 calories seems a lot. :/

It's really not that much my wife is 114lbs, and she eats around 2000 calories a day.