Best kind of "Mayo"

ZacFields
ZacFields Posts: 62 Member
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
I recently switched to Miracle Whip because I thought it would be healthier for me. For half the calories and less than half the fat, it seems logical, right?

I try not to get too in depth into these arguments of "this and that are bad for you" because I've discovered over the years that EVERYTHING is bad for you, but this is one that I'm interested in hearing some opinions about.

But here's the deal: I have to put some sort of mayo on a sandwich. There's regular mayo, miracle whip, mayo with olive oil... which one of these are the healthiest for you?

Replies

• Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Actually, none of the jarred stuff you buy in the store is good for you.

Why not make your own???? It is easy to make, tastes wayyyyy better and is good for you too.

Also, fat is not the demon they try to make it out to be. A moderate amount of fat will actually help you burn fat faster in the body.
  • donbogi
    donbogi Posts: 175
    I recently switched to Miracle Whip because I thought it would be healthier for me. For half the calories and less than half the fat, it seems logical, right?

I try not to get too in depth into these arguments of "this and that are bad for you" because I've discovered over the years that EVERYTHING is bad for you, but this is one that I'm interested in hearing some opinions about.

But here's the deal: I have to put some sort of mayo on a sandwich. There's regular mayo, miracle whip, mayo with olive oil... which one of these are the healthiest for you?

I switched to the Kraft Mayo with Olive Oil. Its contains half the fat and calories of regular mayonnaise.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    I don't know about healthiest, but I go with Miracle Whip, mainly because ever since we were kids and got lice from school and had to put mayo in our hair and then saran wrap it, normal mayo has grossed me out. :\

And yes, that was probably too much information. You're welcome. ;)
  • I love the kind with olive oil or make your own if you can!!
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Well, everything is not bad for you. Frankly I think that is something people use as an excuse so they don't have to try to be healthy, it's the old "eat right and die anyway" lame *kitten* excuse, but I digress. I love Vegenaise. I get it at Whole Foods, not sure who else carries it. It tastes great, is not low in calories but just made of good stuff. I get the one with Omega 3 in it.
  • mfkfoster
    mfkfoster Posts: 331 Member
    I don't like Miracle Whip or the Mayo with olive oil. They just taste off to me. I normally just stick to the serving size and make sure of my calories. I don't do the whole low-fat or fat free stuff either. They normally remove the fat and add sugar.
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    I watched something on tv the other night about how mayonnaise is made and i was so glad that I dont like the stuff! The light mayonnaise substitutes all the oil with some pretty rank stuff including the gunk off of rotting cabbage...
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    I am a Best Foods/Hellmans girl myself - but if you like Kraft - try the canola or olive oil. I too have to put something that I LIKE on my sandwich. There are some people on this board that tout an entirely too clean diet for my lifestyle - and yours, it seems. I eat what I like - and find healthier alternatives where available.
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Well, personally, I use the light Miracle Whip. I figure for the whopping maybe 2tbsp of it I eat a week, it's not something to stress over. So unless you eat a ton of it, you should probably just have whichever you like the best and works into your diet =)

PS Neliel, I LOVE Portal =)
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Portal is amazing. And I thought the picture was appropriate here :D
  • Actually, none of the jarred stuff you buy in the store is good for you.

Why not make your own???? It is easy to make, tastes wayyyyy better and is good for you too.

Also, fat is not the demon they try to make it out to be. A moderate amount of fat will actually help you burn fat faster in the body.

When I was reading on how to make your own mayo and found a lot of posts said it was actually very difficult? It doesn't always congeal right or something? No clue, as I have never tried, but those websites discouraged me from ever trying.
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    How about hummus? It's around 70 calories for 2 tbs.

And, it's extra tasty!
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    I count myself as lucky :) I hate mayo. just the thought of it makes me ill :sick:
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    My fav thing to replace mayo on a sandwich is avocado. It's DELICIOUS!! I can't even tell the difference!
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    When I was reading on how to make your own mayo and found a lot of posts said it was actually very difficult? It doesn't always congeal right or something? No clue, as I have never tried, but those websites discouraged me from ever trying.

Do you have a blender?? Here is an easy and fool proof way to make mayonnaise:

In your blender cup put 1 whole egg, 3/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp dry mustard, 1/4 tsp paprika, 1 T white vinegar and 1 T lemon juice (or 2 T vinegar if you don't have lemon juice) and 1/4 of a total of 1 cup Canola oil. Cover and process on BLEND. Immediately, remove the feeder cup (in the lid) and pour in the rest of the oil in a slow steady stream. If you need to, you can use a rubber spatula to keep the ingredients flowing into the blade. This will make a little over a cup, and will keep in the refrigerator just fine.

I've experimented using egg substitute for the egg and it tasted fine but was a little yellow in color. The 50 calorie difference really wasn't important when using a tablespoon at a time.
  • When I was reading on how to make your own mayo and found a lot of posts said it was actually very difficult? It doesn't always congeal right or something? No clue, as I have never tried, but those websites discouraged me from ever trying.

Do you have a blender?? Here is an easy and fool proof way to make mayonnaise:

In your blender cup put 1 whole egg, 3/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp dry mustard, 1/4 tsp paprika, 1 T white vinegar and 1 T lemon juice (or 2 T vinegar if you don't have lemon juice) and 1/4 of a total of 1 cup Canola oil. Cover and process on BLEND. Immediately, remove the feeder cup (in the lid) and pour in the rest of the oil in a slow steady stream. If you need to, you can use a rubber spatula to keep the ingredients flowing into the blade. This will make a little over a cup, and will keep in the refrigerator just fine.

I've experimented using egg substitute for the egg and it tasted fine but was a little yellow in color. The 50 calorie difference really wasn't important when using a tablespoon at a time.

Okay, well you seem sure, so I will give it a try. I do like making my own things at home, homemade ranch etc. So when I was reading about all the soupy mayo that was turning up I got discouraged. :)

Do you know how long it will keep in the refrigerator? Week(s)?
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,995 Member
    I like the Best Foods mayo with olive oil myself, but I don't use much when I use it or use it very often.
  • kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 302 Member
    Kraft Mayo FAT FREE in the RED and WHITE jar taste the best and has the least amount of cals and fat. Taste just like reg mayo.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    I don't know about "best", but the Kraft Chipotle flavor is pretty darn tasty......
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Okay, well you seem sure, so I will give it a try. I do like making my own things at home, homemade ranch etc. So when I was reading about all the soupy mayo that was turning up I got discouraged. :)

Do you know how long it will keep in the refrigerator? Week(s)?

That a girl!! This turned out the first time I tried it and every time since. Just be sure to pour a slow steady stream right into the middle of the blade. You want to incorporate as much air into it as possible and that will do it. As far as how long it lasts, I can't really say as we eat a lot of pasta salads and because it's only one cup, it goes pretty quickly. There are about 18 tablespoons in this recipe - (16 tablespoons in a cup) so it goes pretty quickly. And that's OK with me as it is so quick and easy to make.
This discussion has been closed.