work lunch ideas?

Options
Hey everyone... So. I work in a school and I am getting ready for another school year. I've been doing ok with my calorie/exercise tracking while I have been home over the summer months.
I'm curious if anyone has any good ideas/options for a packable lunch during the work week? I know deli meats are not a very good option, so I'm throwing it out there!
Thanks!

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    i eat deli meats nearly every day, they are fine if you can work around the sodium content.
    i do sammiches, cheese and crackers, or leftovers for lunch usually. if you want to avoid deli meats then just cook your own chicken breast (or roast beef or ham or whatever) and use that for your sammiches
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree. If you are concerned about the sodium then cook a nice piece of meat on the weekend, cut it up, and store for the week. You could also boil a dozen eggs ahead of time for a grab and go snack. Low sodium trail mix, protein shakes, fiber bars, fruit, instant oatmeal (regular has low sodium) are all good. You could also make egg, chicken, or tuna salads the night before.
  • evee7340
    evee7340 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I work in an office and bring my lunch every day. Lately I've been bringing salad--a couple cups of chopped romaine then whatever fruits and/or vegetables I have on hand and some protein. Today I have the lettuce with red grapes, blueberries, celery, and chick peas. For protein other days I've used hard-boiled eggs, leftover chicken from dinner, and--yes!--turkey breast deli meat (though I do try to get the kind they bake at the supermarket--less preservatives/sodium). And I keep a bottle of low-fat bleu cheese dressing in the fridge at work. It's not the fanciest lunch, but it's tasty and surprisingly filling. I also bring fruit (today it's apple and banana) and a yogurt for snacks. All simple stuff--not a lot of stress or prep.
  • Teresa_3266
    Teresa_3266 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Not the best choice but I stick with the frozen foods like WW, Healthy Choice, and Lean Cuisine. They are quick, easy, and calorie friendly. I work long hours and often eat lunch and dinner at work so I also bring string cheese, Greek yogurt, almonds, and fruit.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I usually bring left overs from the night before (I plan this when cooking dinner). Alternately, salads or sandwiches are great. There is nothing wrong with lunchmeat, unless you're watching your sodium.
  • brucestjohn
    brucestjohn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I usually bring Healthy Choice Cafe' Steamers (normally around 250 calories each) and a small container of fruit or raw veggies to snack on throughout the day. Works well for me and I'm never snacky when I get home.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I pack my lunch almost every day. I generally bring

- 2-3 servings of raw fruits/veggies

- either yogurt (Chobani blueberry power flip or Noosa) or 1 cup cottage cheese or 2 boiled eggs

- a packet of tuna fish

- a Kashi bar
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Try searching Pintrest for lunch ideas. Tons of ideas there that you can get inspiration from.
  • peanutbutter_runner
    peanutbutter_runner Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Deli meats are a great option. I like using the "Flatout" brand multigrain wraps. A favorite combo is deli turkey, garlic hummus, baby spinach, and chopped tomato. Side of baby carrots and if I'm really hungry Greek yogurt :)
  • ottacat
    ottacat Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I pack a lunch and afternoon snack everyday. Lunch is usually a sandwich and a serving of fruit (berries, apple, banana, etc.). For the sandwich I use Les Grains St-méthode from Costco which are 120 calories for two slices. Shop around on your bread - many have up to 240 calories for two slices. I do occassional have deli ham even though it is high in sodium. Other days I have either chicken or turkey that I've baked at home and I slice off 100 grams with the help of my kitchen scale. With ham I use just mustard, with chicken or turkey I use the Helmann's - Mayo - Light, Half the Fat and keep it to one tablespoon between the two slices of bread. I also will usually put a slice or two of tomato. I will also have tuna sandwiches along with egg salad sandwiches. For the egg salad ones I use two eggs, one tablespoon of non-fat plain yogurt and one tablespoon of the Half the Fat mayo.

For the afternoon snack I usually have a cut-up bell pepper, some rice crackers and then more protein - either sliced meat or shrimp. Some people shy away from shrimp because they contain cholesterol but my bloodwork shows great cholesterol levels in my blood and many state the cholesterol in the shrimp doesn't affect your blood cholesterol. Of course I also eat steel cut oatmeal every morning so I know that helps.

Anyway, my $0.02
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    My favorite is a packet of tuna salad with Ritz roasted veggie crackers, hummus and baby carrots or sliced bell pepper, a piece of fruit, and greek yogurt for a mid-afternoon snack. I usually have a mid-morning protein bar too.

I bring the above twice a week usually, and the other days I'll bring leftovers or a big salad. I always have a few cans of soup at my desk for emergencies (i.e. when I forget my lunch at home or didn't bring enough food) :)
  • NoMoreYoYos
    NoMoreYoYos Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I usually just try to make a large recipe on the weekend and make lunches out of the leftovers. I always add a greek yogurt, piece of fruit, and carrots & hummus to snack on throughout the work day.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Frozen vegetables, about 2 to 3 cups for lunch, the equivalent of half or a whole 10 to 12 oz bag. The office has a freezer. If I bring a portion, I pack it frozen and let it defrost in my desk. Spices on top. Nuke it.

Not everyone's choice, it works for me.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Do you have a fridge? If so, there are lots of options. If you have a microwave, even more. Here are some things I do:

- Leftovers from the previous night's dinner, sometimes cold, sometimes reheated
    - Hummus, pita or chips, and vegetables
    - Sandwiches with deli meat or homemade tuna or chicken salad
    - Tabouleh with chickpeas or beans, tomatoes, and cucumber (or other veggies)