Can't stop eating

Options

Replies

• ruthedwards114
    ruthedwards114 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Carrie and I'm an emotional eater. :) No, really. I usually don't have an issue with food - until something upsets or frustrates me, then it's all out war on whatever I can find. (Sometimes I'll binge on the healthy stuff, even - ugh.)

Cheetos are my Kryptonite. Can't have them in the house, can't be around them, can't even look at them. I would agree that you should stay away from whatever YOUR "Kryptonite" is - if it's a few things, so be it.

Cooking? Eh, you don't "have to" learn, but it's helpful. I love to cook, personally, and I love trying new recipes - especially those that might have once been "off" the list. But seeing that you're in school, space may be an issue. Still, it's worth looking into. The crock-pot ideas are worth investigating, especially since you say you don't have a lot of money, and crockpot cooking is not only easy and healthy, but can be really inexpensive if you buy the right things. I have a pulled pork recipe that costs nothing more than the pork shoulder, a few onions, and a bottle of barbecue sauce (and they make good low-sugar ones out there, too). Making a pot of that feeds me and my husband for almost a week!

You have more control than you think. You just need to harness and use it. You're sure in the right place to start - I've gotten more ideas from here for recipes and nutrition than any other site I've visited.

BTW: please, do consider the fact that diabetes is a concern. I am T2 diabetic, and I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Luckily, I'm under tight control, but I know many who aren't and who struggle with it every... single... day. You don't want that.
    '
    Good luck! :)
  • EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hi OP:

I'm NOT an expert and I have a LONG ways to go with my own weight loss, but here are the few things I can tell you from my own personal experiences...

I'm not a great cook! But I can make a salad. And if I can make a salad, I can make a stir fry.. These two things saved me from my attitude of "not cooking" and now I look up recipes on the internet just to see if I can do them!! I don't know if I'll ever LOVE cooking, but I can now say I can do it. Small steps to a healthier lifestyle. And you can be proud of yourself for breaking out of your comfort zone.

A couple more things I found helpful: If I don't buy it, I can't eat it! And when you are looking at the menu have that same outlook. Also, take advantage of substituting healthier options or sides, taking half the dish home with you for another meal etc.. After you win one of these battles the next comes easier because you're proud of yourself instead of eating whatever you want and feeling guilty afterwards. We are our own worst critics.

You can do this!

PS: Anyone's welcomed to add me as a friend. I'm back for round two of MFP after falling off the wagon for about 6 months and +20lbs.
  • AdamJBischoff
    Options

3. Eat in this order.

Vegetables or fruit first. Water to drink with it.
    Main meal. Juice to drink with it.
    Make sure you count the calories, measure how much juice you are drinking, then you will be fine. This will fill you up! I promise. It helped me a lot today, and I feel great already. Happier, for instance. ^.-

i was going to say this. simply inserting a salad or veggies at the beginning of meals helped me tremendously. I didn't change what else i ate (at first). just added a large salad. and then i didn't eat as much of anything else, but i wasn't limiting myself either.

i think that's a solid place to start.

Thank you! My friend told me about the "proper" order into eating food. ^-^ It helps a lot.
  • AdamJBischoff
    Options
    Get a Hobbie you can do inside when you feel like eating do the hobbie of your choice instead. This has helped me out a lot i got a spin cycle when i feel like i need to eat something i just get on the spin bike and ride till the urge goes away.

Yes. Hobbies are great.
    Do something that is fun to you. If you have no hobby, watch really funny youtube videos. :) It will make time fly, and then when it's time to eat lunch/breakfast...Eat it! ^.^
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Does your college have therapists available for students? Often, they'll provide therapy at a low cost for students.

I was going to say this myself. Our university had a free counseling center for students.
  • deaddawn
    deaddawn Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Pick one or two days where you get to eat out. Make it the same every week. If it's not, say, Friday, you are eating at home, period. The rest are "Suck it up cupcake" days. No matter what, you must eat at home or pack a lunch on those other days.

While you are learning to cook, go easy on yourself. Cook two meals a week, then after a while, cook more and more. Have a few frozen entrees in the freezers for the days you aren’t cooking. Lean Cuisine, Weight Watches, etc. They will save you from Burger King in a pinch.
    Pick recipes with less than 6 ingredients and only a few lines of instructions. As others have said, sit down and plan a few meals in advance. When you feel like you have the simple recipes down, go for more complicated stuff. Use sites like myrecipes.com or allrecipes.com to find recipes (always read the comments of others who have attempted the recipe). These sites provide nutritional information on their recipes so it will help you pick what's right for you. If you can afford $20ish dollars, go to Craftsy.com and sign up for an online cooking class. These classes are pretty good and you can watch each step over and over. The courses can be used over and over. They have print outs and everything. I used them to learn advanced techniques but they have basic technique classes too. Just stay away from the donut and cake decorating classes for now. ;-)

Keep raw cut up fruits and vegetables in the FRONT of the fridge.

You may need to avoid social eating situations when you are feeling out of control. Agree to meet people after dinner, after cake cutting, etc. You may want to keep your reason to yourself. People aren't very understanding. They will tell you to sit in front of your addiction and not overdo it. Sometimes it's not that simple. If it were, you’d be thin, right?

Drink a glass of water as soon as you wake up. If you have an aversion to water, just get it done. Think of it as medicine you need to take if that helps. If you have a hard time getting enough water throughout the day, think of water as a prescription that needs to be taken 6 times a day. Tell yourself, "It's time to take my water again" and go do it. Sipping water all day works for some people too. When you do eat out, ordering a water when you eat out really knocks money off the bill too.
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Start by eliminating the word can't from your dictionary. It sounds ridiculous. If you want to say you CAN"T beat LeBron James in a slam dunk contest then that's acceptable. Saying you CAN'T stop putting food in your mouth is just dumb.

Once you've eliminated that mentality then you should be fine.
  • sarahbrown1015
    sarahbrown1015 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    There have been a lot of great suggestions so far. Food addiction is a real thing. Scientists are paid millions of dollars to perfectly layer fat, salt, and sugar to insure that you keep coming back for more. Stop beating yourself up. You are not a bad person, but you may seriously want to consider trying an OA meeting. It's free and you may find something there that you need. I literally had to change my taste buds. It's possible! Hang in there and keep learning and reading! Preparation is key!
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    If you are in college, try taking a cooking class. Or go online for easy recipes that you can handle that are low fat, low carb, or low cal. It doen't have to be Filet Mignon or Coque au Vin (I know that's probly spelled wrong). Crockpot meals are easy and you don't have to be Gordon Ramsey to make them healthy.

Also, Plan ahead. Decide what you are going to eat and then STICK TO IT. It gets easier the longer you do it. Don't deprive yourself the things you like, just cut WAY back on them so you don't feel like you are dieting. I've also found that takign smaller bites and really making myself taste my food helps me eat smaller portions.

Whatever you do, don't give up.
  • stargarrick1
    Options
    I have this too sometimes....my plan was to eliminate the junk in my house and since im always on the go, buy prepackaged oatmeal for breakfast or a smoothie from Smoothie king (low cal) pre packaged salad from walmart and meat and veggies for dinner. You have to think positive and not let food consume you. Ii love food too, but id rather be happy with myself and healthy than happy with food and unheatlthy with a bad body image.
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Go to the library and check out this book: "The Beck Diet Solution." It isn't a diet--it uses cognitive behavioral therapy to help you change your relationship to food. It takes hard work, but you can reprogram the way you behave. I also second the overeaters' anonymous suggestion.

I was just about to post this. It's taken me around 30 years to lose this weight, and no amount of kicking myself or telling myself how useless I was helped. I am a good cook, by the way, and this is pretty irrelevant if you have food issues. No one can really understand how hard it is unless they have been through it.

It sounds cheesy but this book changed my life.

Whatever works for you, but don't leave it as long as me! I wish I'd seen the light when I was at college.

Good luck.
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have a few suggestions...but first...this takes time. So you have to mentally prepare youself for a longer journey than maybe you're expecting or wanting.

1. I am in therapy for binge eating and emotional eating. My therapist and I use a couple of different workbooks for the basis of our sessions: The Food and Feelings Workbook (Koenig) and End Emotional Eating (Taitz). They're good substitues to get at the core of the eating issues. Whether you'd categorize youself as an emotional eater or not, it comes down to mindfulness and being aware of yourself in the moment. It sounds hippy-dippy, but it's true.
    2. Find an overeaters anonymous or post regularly in the forums. Talking stuff out helps. Plus you can pick up tips from people who are in professional treatment without incurring the cost of professional treatment yourself. I didn't like OA. The groups near me were too religious that I felt judged and out of place, but I know other people in other areas like theirs.
    3. Find a hobby to keep your hands busy. Journal. Knit. Play video games. Post in the forums. Bead. Draw. When your hands are busy, your brain is more focused on something other than food.
    4. Whenever I'm feeling hungry but I know I'm really not, I look up before and after pictures to keep me motivated.
    5. Drink some water.
    6. Read a memoir about weight loss.
    7. Make yourself wait 20 mins. Start with 5 mins. then overtime build up 20. If you can wait 20 mins often times the craving will go away or at least lessen to a manageable snack. It takes time and patience, but the base skills in this exercise will be used in practically every part of weight loss.

The important thing is to look at progress overall as well as day to day. Think: okay, I screwed up today but I haven't in a couple of days. Eventually, the spaces between ups and downs will increase and you'll begin to really feel like you're making progress.

I remind myself to take it an hour at a time. I just need to get through this hour. I don't focus on the past or the future. Just the present. I definitely have my setbacks, but they're way minimized than what they used to be.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Wow Carrie - good job on the weight loss. How long did it take you?

Thanks! :)

I started the very next day after I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes - September 12, 2012.
  • ChrisManch
    ChrisManch Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I was like that until a few months ago. I had been to my doctor for help, and he gave me pills (Orlistat) that didn't work. I still ate the same crap and just had unpleasant side effects. My doctor didn't seem very interested in helping me. I had some weight related problems including Sleep Apnea, hypertension, joint pains etc.

I was eating Biscuits (cookies) by the packet, Crisps (potato chips) by the six-pack, chocolate, sugary sweets, bread etc. It felt good to eat them, even if I felt bloated and ill after.

Then I changed my doctor and the new one said I had Chronic (which she stressed meant "long lasting" not "severe") MILD depression. She offered me anti-depressants and talking therapy but I have several friends who take anti-depressants and they don't seem to be a good solution. I suggested I take St.John's Wort as I know its often prescribed in Germany and I had taken it before. My Doctor said to try it. I took one tablet every morning and after a month it hadn't had a lot of effect, at a follow up session with my doctor she said to take 2 tablets, which I did.

A few days after that I found myself singing along with the radio, I was actually in a good mood for the first time in a long time, so much that it took me by surprise.

St. John's Wort can have side effects, one being sensitivity to sunlight, but I haven't had any problems with that, and the other is suicidal thoughts, so you need to monitor your use, but I haven't had any such thoughts.

I started doing a little exercise, I live about a mile from work, and used to drive there, so I started walking to work. The last part is a steep hill and I had to stop and rest half-way. Walking has been shown to as effective as anti-depressants. After a week or so I was marching up that hill, still out of breath when I got to the top, now I can walk to the top and not be out of breath.

I started walking more, either everday journeys such as to work/shopping, or going to places just to walk. Drive to the countryside, beach or somewhere interesting, and just walk, its actually quite addictive.

Food wise I started by having eggs for breakfast, boiled. Lots of protein which stops you being hungry. Generally you'll feel hungry until your body gets enough protein, no matter how much carbs and fat you eat. I used to skip lunch thinking it was saving calories, but actually it just makes you over-eat in the evening, so now I have a MEAL for lunch every day. I found it quite easy to keep to the 1380 calories myfitnesspal recommends, but if I eat too much one day I don't worry about it, its about the long term, not what you eat in a day.

So, I've been doing this now for 90 days. I had an app on my phone that measure walking, in the 2 months before I stared I walked 3.8 and 4.1 miles. Last month I walked an extra 32 miles. I've also started using my bike which has been stored in the garage for years.

I've lost 15Kg in 90 days, which is about 2.5lbs a week and I feel a lot better for it. I'm about half way to where I want to be,
  • jaynerebecca1
    jaynerebecca1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It looks like you haven't been logging your food (at least for a few days). This is so important. If you tell yourself you must log every single thing you eat, you will be motivated to eat less. A lof of it is a mental game! Is that cookie worth it? I have to log it! This was huge for me. Also, as someone who can't cook, I recommend keeping tuna, pre cut veggies and hummus, low fat string cheese, and healthy breakfast bars around. I love hard boiled eggs and I make them on Sundays and take them to work for breakfast all week sometimes.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    when you keep doing something you know is damaging, there is usually a reason behind it. maybe not always.

when i first started losing weight this time the first couple months were hard. it was easy to follow my program... kind of. but the hard part was that i had to look at myself and my actions and why i did it. but once i accepted why i couldnt stop hurting myself (or was unwilling to anyway) i found that i personally, only speaking for myself. wanted to destroy myself. its pretty complicated but i have been dealing with it (or avoiding dealing with it) for a LONG time. and i still am. but i am starting with learning to take care of myself. seeing doctors, eating right, exersizing, even taking the time to get dressed nice and wear makeup, which i had stopped doing because i didnt think i mattered or deserved it.

my experience, not saying it is yours but usually people have a reason for self destructive behavior.

i
  • vicdamone78
    vicdamone78 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi Malosis!

First and foremost you have to get all of those negative thoughts out of your head. Immediately. Look at how many times you said you CAN'T do something or how BAD or TERRIBLE you are about something. Turn those statements into positive statements. Instead of saying "I CAN'T stick to anything for more than a few days" say I CAN stick to things for more than a few days and I will give it my best. As soon as you change that, you can worry about your diet and exercise. You seem to make a lot of excuses as to why you can't do certain things. Take control of your life! Quit making excuses and do what you have to to better yourself!! It's in all of us. It's just that some people want it more than others!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!

I wont even touch the binge eating or the diet because you must change your mentality and your approach first. Good luck!! :smile:
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I was terrified of cooking until I just started obsessively watching cooking shows and youtube videos. If you don't really 'get' cooking, it can be daunting to read even a simple recipe, but - and I know people find her annoying but I recommend Rachael Ray very highly for this reason - watching someone do it where you can just follow along with the steps helped me a lot. I just watched and watched until I felt ready to take on something simple.
  • gopgirl425
    gopgirl425 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is the next time you want to eat something make sure you are really hungry. Carrots work for me. When I am thinking about eating I ask myself...do you want to have some carrots??...if the answer is yes I am probably hungry. It doesn't work with a Snickers bar because regardless if I am hungry or not I would eat the Snickers bar. I don't know of that makes sense or not.
  • gmdaniel
    gmdaniel Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we can be our own worst enemy. Maybe there is some other underlying issue that is causing you to keep eating what you know may not be healthy for you. I don't think anyone can tell you how to correct this because it really starts with you. But we are here for support.

I do understand how the stress of college can cause some behaviors but ultimately you may need to get to the point of "no more".

I had a conversation with someone dear to me and this is what they said....

It is selfish of one to not take the best care of their health when we know that we are not only affecting "self" but also affecting those we love. Think about this: if something were to happen to you (not that it will) and you were no longer around, imagine those left that would be affected by the loss.

Cooking is really fun. It can be a stress reliever as well. There are so many recipes to choose from...steaming veggies is very very easy and healthy! Baking meats are easy as well.

I know you can do this.....You have come to the perfect place for support.

I wish you well and don't give up!