Insanity workout DVD

Options
Hey! Just wondered if anyone has tried this and if so what do you think? would you recommend it? It seems quite expensive for a dvd! But its still cheaper than a gym membership
It would suit me well (i think) as I get bored in gyms and with work and a long commute I am usually too tired to go to the gym in the evenings :( Yes I am making excuses not to go to the gym, but I honestly don't see the point in paying £40ish a month for a gym membership I will realistically only use approx twice a week
Any advice on which DVD to buy? (if not insanity)

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    insanity is great, pretty challenging.

wouldn't really expect to buy any DVD and turn that into your life long workout, and be totally happy/not bored with that
  • witsend79
    witsend79 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It's brilliant and as it's several discs, the workouts do vary. I've had it almost exactly a year and dipped in and out of it all year (far more than I would have used a gym too!) and I'm just starting to get bored of it.

Well worth the money in my opinion. Greatest results seen when you do it daily though.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hey! Just wondered if anyone has tried this and if so what do you think? would you recommend it? It seems quite expensive for a dvd! But its still cheaper than a gym membership
    It would suit me well (i think) as I get bored in gyms and with work and a long commute I am usually too tired to go to the gym in the evenings :( Yes I am making excuses not to go to the gym, but I honestly don't see the point in paying £40ish a month for a gym membership I will realistically only use approx twice a week
    Any advice on which DVD to buy? (if not insanity)

There are hundreds (if not thousands) of DVDs outs there. You just need to find something you like to do so you won't lose interest. I started with Netflix by mail....I got a new workout every week. Now I have a collection of a couple dozen that I rotate between.

Here are a couple websites that are very useful for shopping:

http://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/default.asp

http://www.collagevideo.com/

Youtube workouts would be very helpful to narrow your interests a bit. Also, check out the "GROUPS" section.....there are groups in MFP for Insanity.
  • sydsquidlee
    sydsquidlee Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am a stay at home mom with two toddlers, I don't have time to go to the gym. I have the Insanity, Asylum, and a yoga dvd set. It is really nice because I have not excuse. I do it in the privacy of my living room. It is a great way to start. I also go running/walking. where I live there are classes that you can sign up for with out the pricey memberships.
  • 123Allyxox
    123Allyxox Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I did insanity and LOVED IT! I did it before I got pregnant and felt AMAZING:)

I'm doing PIYO right now and when I'm done I think I'm going to give insanity another go.
  • cummingsja1
    cummingsja1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    'Insanity' is a great program. How it works is it pretty much just 'cardios' you to death until you lose weight. Now, assuming you are eating the CORRECT amount of calories and meeting macros, this program will work for you. (heck, when I did it the first time I still lost 20ibs and I ate like crap). If you are inexperienced to working out, you MIGHT want to look into Focus T25 only because it ramps up softer. For example, Alpha phase is, in my opinion, a bit easier than Insanity so you can get into it better. Then, Beta Phase is similar to many of Insanity as long as you use at least semi-challenging weights. And you get the added option of Gamma phase if you really want to push.

Edit* If you have any questions about program particulars, you can message me! I've done Insanity, Asylum Volume 1&2, P90X, P90X2 and Focus T25 all three phases. I'm more than happy to give you any advice you might want about any of those programs
  • 17by17
    17by17 Posts: 1
    Options
    Insanity is great! It really pushes you to your max, but revs your metabolism at the same time so you still have energy for the rest of your day! I struggle with starting the program and then stopping a couple days in, but I just finished day 5 and have a feeling I am going to make it through this time! But goodluck if you decide on buying it!
  • Cupcake_Kate1990
    Cupcake_Kate1990 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    'Insanity' is a great program. How it works is it pretty much just 'cardios' you to death until you lose weight. Now, assuming you are eating the CORRECT amount of calories and meeting macros, this program will work for you. (heck, when I did it the first time I still lost 20ibs and I ate like crap). If you are inexperienced to working out, you MIGHT want to look into Focus T25 only because it ramps up softer. For example, Alpha phase is, in my opinion, a bit easier than Insanity so you can get into it better. Then, Beta Phase is similar to many of Insanity as long as you use at least semi-challenging weights. And you get the added option of Gamma phase if you really want to push.

Edit* If you have any questions about program particulars, you can message me! I've done Insanity, Asylum Volume 1&2, P90X, P90X2 and Focus T25 all three phases. I'm more than happy to give you any advice you might want about any of those programs

Thanks everybody! I will have a look at these online and maybe back to ask questions :)
  • AliUnrau
    AliUnrau Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    How heavy are ppl who normally do this workout?
  • zhogle
    zhogle Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I did Insanity last year and it was great. Combined with the right diet the results can be really good, but I don't think I'd give up my gym membership for it. I get more variety at the gym, whereas I was pretty bored by the time I was done Insanity. It's also worth knowing you'll only get out of Insanity what you put in. It's easy to not keep up the pace in the program, so push through!

AliUnrau: I was about 180lbs. when I started Insanity.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I completed Insanity but would probably not do it again. You'll definitely burn calories, but I feel like the workout is a little too high impact for my taste. It also gets a little monotonous after awhile (again, just my opinion). I really love Shaun T's personally, though... T25 is another of his workouts, though the workout length is shorter and I found it to be lower impact overall (There's also a modifier. I didn't typically do the modified moves, but sometimes all of the crazy jumping in Insanity got to be a little much for me). I also like that T25 incorporates some strength training in the 2nd month (unlike Insanity).

Right now I am doing Tapout XT and find that I like it better vs. Insanity. There are some plyo days, but it's generally a good mix of a lot of types of workouts (some more cardio, and some more strength based,using resistance bands). I like the variety and also the MMA-style of it (I am just getting into MMA.. so it's pretty cool for me to see fighters doing the workout with me on the DVD).

Hope that helps... if you have any questions feel free to message me.