Quick question..can you help me with some tips?

Options
Ive always been a fast walker..even before I started this journey and was heavier. I try to catch myself and slow down so I can last longer and have a longer work out. But before I know it, Im walking like Im late to a chocolate buffet again lol.

Any tips how to keep myself at a gentler pace so I can last longer? Id love to do 20 - 25 minutes but Im stuck at around 15 minutes.

PS I dont listen to music while I walk, so its not the beat of the music that makes me go faster.

Replies

• ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to go faster? Maybe you are already burning as many calories with 15 minutes of fast walking as you would burn with a longer slow paced walking...
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to go faster? Maybe you are already burning as many calories with 15 minutes of fast walking as you would burn with a longer slow paced walking...
    See, I was wondering that..Do I burn more with shorter and faster or longer and slower?
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I think (and I could be wrong) you burn the same amount of calories if you travel 1 mile in 10 as you do if you travel 1 mile in 8 minutes. I say keep doing what you're doing and work up to walking longer at the quicker pace. If you walk slower for longer you will essentually be traveling the same distance.
  • shortntall1
    Options
    I think (and I could be wrong) you burn the same amount of calories if you travel 1 mile in 10 as you do if you travel 1 mile in 8 minutes. I say keep doing what you're doing and work up to walking longer at the quicker pace. If you walk slower for longer you will essentually be traveling the same distance.
    Gotcha!!
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Seems right to me. Maybe you will soon start to run.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Could you try listening to music when you walk? Put on slow, relaxing music and walk to the beat.

What about getting a walking partner who helps you keep a pace?

Short/fast walks and long/slow walks will burn similar calories. You can't really say that one is better than the other, besides personal preference. However, increasing your heart rate for longer periods of time is great for you! Do what you like and what makes you feel good.
  • shortntall1
    Options
    Thank you..you all are great!!! I plan on using an MP3 player soon. Im not a great walker/talker yet but as soon as I build up my endurance, Id like that.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Just try to go a little longer each day at your natural pace. That way you're comfortable, burning more calories, and will soon be at the 25 min range and be happy with that too!
  • shortntall1
    Options
    Thumbs up!
  • jmmurray203
    jmmurray203 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about time! Keep track of the distance you are traveling each time and track your progress. When I started running I could barely make it a quarter mile before I was out of breath. Like you, I had trouble keeping it slow. I wanted to go fast.

If you start losing your breath and you can't keep up your pace, lower your speed until you catch your breath then get back at it.

If you are interested in starting to run but don't know where to start I would recommend the 'Couch to 5k program'. I started with this program for a month before starting to do interval training.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • shortntall1
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • amykhughes
    amykhughes Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I walk to the beat of a metronome on my phone (free app). I'm doing it to make sure I keep a fast pace, but you could do the opposite.
  • shortntall1
    Options
    Awesome suggestions!