Better fitness = almost passing out

Options
As I've been ramping up my fitness this summer, I've noticed that I've been getting light headed and almost blacking out more often. It usually occurs when I get up too fast, mainly during yoga. Today, I really almost lost it and came close to passing out in class, my vision was fading and I felt like I was about to collapse. So, um, is this normal? I'm at a healthy weight, eat plenty, hydrate. The only thing I've been doing differently is more HIIT and strength training. Thoughts appreciated. Also, today during HIIT before yoga I did get my hr up to 178 which is pretty high for me... usually max is 172.

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    I think your body is trying to tell you it's too much. Is the HIIT new to your routine? HIIT is usually recommended for only 1 - 2 days a week.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    What's your sodium, potassium and magnesium intake like? As an athlete those electrolytes are very important. Might want to consider checking into that.

ETA: Your food diary isn't open. There's a chance you aren't eating enough to support all that activity.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    What is your daily calorie intake? You may not be eating enough, like usmcmp suggested.
  • lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    What's your blood pressure like? There's a syndrome called orthostatic hypotension that causes people to get dizzy/lightheaded when they get up too quickly. Are you on any medications? Staying hydrated?
  • sakuya3834
    sakuya3834 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating enough. If you increased your activity you should adjust your calories accordingly. The first time I lost weight I stuck religiously to 1200 cal/day and passed out quite often after running or getting up too fast. I was 18/19 and working out 2 hours a day so it was not a good idea.
  • Chris_58
    Chris_58 Posts: 32
    Options
    I've been having this exact same problem!
    I never used to get light headed and didn't understand how people could faint at all, it just didn't happen.

Since I've been "healthy weight", when I stand up sometimes everything starts going black like "tunnel vision", I start losing the will to stay awake then after a few seconds everything is fine again.

From what I've read it's simply your body is not quick enough at pumping that blood back to your brain after it rushes down to your legs, it could be low blood pressure also, I might go to the doctors and get myself checked.........at some point....maybe....XD

I've also noticed my hands and feet are cold most of the time, which never used to happen.
    I've been to the doctors about that and got some pills but I've run out and I don't think it was meant for long term, and now they are cold again :(
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    It usually occurs when I get up too fast, mainly during yoga.

Sounds like orthostatic hypotension. Stand up/sit up slowly.

Wouldn't hurt to see your doctor to run basic lab tests to make sure your electrolytes aren't off.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I really don't think it's lack of calories because I eat well over 2000 a day, I'm 5'8" 150. I try to drink enough but it's a lot of it is caffeinated drinks. While working out today though, I had an Emergenc packet in a water bottle and a half of water. So I don't really think it's an electrolyte problem. Could be not enough water. I'll go to the doc if it continues or gets worse.
  • huntergreene71
    huntergreene71 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and have been diagnosed with low blood pressure. Way more hydration than I'm getting has been recommended as I work out for 2 hours, sweat like a fountain and its the middle of Summer, all a recipe for dehydration. I've found increasing my sodium intake helps as well. I go through 2.5 water bottles in a workout.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I took my teen to the doc for this. He said it's mostly likely due to not drinking enough. If you already are prone to low blood pressure, it just gets lower when you're a little dehydrated because your blood volume drops.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I really don't think it's lack of calories because I eat well over 2000 a day, I'm 5'8" 150. I try to drink enough but it's a lot of it is caffeinated drinks. While working out today though, I had an Emergenc packet in a water bottle and a half of water. So I don't really think it's an electrolyte problem. Could be not enough water. I'll go to the doc if it continues or gets worse.

EmergenC doesn't have enough sodium, potassium or magnesium to be considered electrolytes.
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002350.htm
  • jenny3008
    jenny3008 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I suffered from a similar thing a few years ago except I wasn't really exercising so I couldn't blame it on calories or electrolytes. It was pretty bad for a while, I blacked out or got dizzy when I stood up, or when I was in the shower and the water was too hot.
    It turns out it was a viral infection and alongside my naturally low blood pressure it was problematic. It passed after a couple of months and now its fine, although I do have to be careful standing up sometimes but that is a blood pressure thing.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It usually occurs when I get up too fast, mainly during yoga.

Sounds like orthostatic hypotension. Stand up/sit up slowly.

Wouldn't hurt to see your doctor to run basic lab tests to make sure your electrolytes aren't off.

I suffer from this as well...I have passed out actually thankfully not doing a workout tho just some gardening.

i have to make sure I stay hydrated all the time...if I don't bam...down I go.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    EmergenC doesn't have enough sodium, potassium or magnesium to be considered electrolytes.
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002350.htm

Thank you. You could actually be right. I just looked at my reports for potassium and sodium and I'm always way under the rec amounts. This last week, I've been even more under than usual. I just always thought that since I eat a lot, I don't lack electrolytes. Looks like I'm wrong.
  • msunat97
    msunat97 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    My wife has the same issue. She has low blood pressure with a vasovagel syncope condition. As she works out more & loses weight, it gets worse. It's a problem b/c she wants to lose 45 pounds, but fears the passing out as she loses the weight & exercises more.