Angry and ashamed at your fat/pre-weight loss self?

Options
13»

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    He tells me to not talk bad about his Amy when I see an old pic of myself come up on the slideshow on our computer.

What a wonderful thing for him to say!

Me, I am sad I gained the weight. I regret it, but I know it's something I've had a tendency toward since childhood. I was a sugar junkie who would get into just about any form of it I could if the cabinets weren't straight up locked. So of course when I finally got to choose my own foods I got fat. Then I wanted to be skinny, so I got skinny. Then I got fat again. Then skinny. And so on and so forth to the present day. How can I hate myself for something that started when I was a little kid? I didn't ask to crave junkfood. I just do. Now that I'm learning more about food and nutrition and now that I have resources like MFP and the entire blasted internet, I'm having a much easier time not cycling back to fat again. So good for me. And the past is dead. Leave it in the past.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I don't hate my old self or feel ashamed. It was just who I was. I just knew I needed to make a change. In a lot of ways, I'm grateful to the old me because the medical issues and pain helped me to change. Without that, I wouldn't be exercising and treating myself right. :smile:
  • losingforgood120
    Options
    I still love my fat self. I feel like 'she' was an awesome person, just clueless about calories in/calories out and proper food choices. In fact I feel sorry for 'her' because I remember how hard she worked at dieting and exercising while doing it all wrong.

I'm not ashamed at all. I love who I was then and who I am now.

Beautiful. Self-compassion is a great practice.
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I'm not into shaming or berating myself. I'm body positive 100% of the way. It wasn't until I started being good and kind and fair to myself that it was even possible to start losing the weight, and I really believe that's the magic formula. There's never a reason to hate yourself. We live in a world that makes it easy sometimes, but I've worked really hard to learn to like myself, and I will never, ever give that up. Not if I magically get down to a size four, not if I gain back a hundred pounds. Not ever.
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    Options
    It is so much better to have a 'fat' picture and someone looking at it and saying, 'That was you? Wow!' instead of looking at a picture of when you weren't 'fat' and saying, 'Is that your sister?' followed by embarrassed silence when you say, No. That's me. :sad: