Would Love to Make Some More Friends...

Options
Hi there...I've been using this program for about a month now. Was using it exclusively on my Android phone app, but now am really enjoying reading here on the full site on the message boards, etc.

I am 36 years old - a mom to two kiddos. I have been gaining and losing same 20 lbs for at least the last decade...except this year I hit my highest ever weight (not including post-partum) and got 30 lbs up over my ideal weight.

I began running in March and ran my first 5k on Mother's Day and ran 5k's for most of the weekends June and July until I suffered a stress fracture in my fibula on my right leg the last week of July. It took a long time to heal - was in a 'boot' for almost 3 months. Had soft tissue injury, too. That's when I packed on the 'new' 10 lbs. I ate out of depression of not being able to run.

I realize now that I failed to cross-train and include strength training. I also did not pay attention at all to my diet, except to occasionally 'fast'. I have to say, that I noticed at a lot of my races that a lot of overweight folks are runners and there are a lot of skinny-fat people running (they are thin but lack muscle tone except in their legs). I really understand the importance of cross-training and nutrition BIG time now.

I started doing a 5-day a week 'bootcamp' the week before Thanksgiving. We had Turkey day week off, but I worked hard on the elliptical and doing free-weights and core exercises during that week off. We're headed into week 3 of bootcamp tomorrow. I love it. I wish I could afford to to these back-to-back. I know I could do all of these exercises at home but there is nothing like having someone there PUSHING you to dig deeper, hold it longer, go faster, etc. I feel like I'm on The Biggest Loser! Ha!

I need to take my health seriously and am finally OVER the dumb diets, etc. I know it's going to take more patience this way, but I feel very content that monitoring my food intake by journaling through MFP and doing lots of different types of exercise always inclusive of strength and cardio training that the weight WILL come off and I will find myself in a body I am happy with.

Other random things about me - I am a banker but am lucky enough to work a gig that allows me to telecommute from home (specialize in loan operations consulting/projects) one of my kids has special needs (ADHD, autism spectrum), one of my kids was adopted at birth domestically, I enjoy art, music, reading, horseback riding (sold my horse a year ago due to lack of time with my kids' needs), I am a christian, love sushi, very happily married, have had 2 heart surgeries (but all fixed now and hopefully through my grandma years), and am a HUGE animal lover (my four legged best friend is Molly a 14 lb terrier mix rescue dog)

Sorry for the novel - would LOVE some friends to share this journey with - to goal and way, way beyond to maintain!!!

Kelly

"Any fact facing us is not as important as our attitude toward it, for that determines our success or failure."
Norman Vincent Peale

"Change your thoughts and you change your world."
Norman Vincent Peale

Replies

• jenneyd
    jenneyd Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Three weeks in, and I absolutely love the support, the education, the advice, and the motivation this site gives me! Count me a part of your cheering section and good luck on your weight loss journey!
  • Mandy0223
    Mandy0223 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    We all learn from our mistakes and it is great to hear your story! I too am looking for support and friends on here where we can motivate each other. I'll add you if you do not mind..:)
  • 1innej
    Options
    Hi Kelly.

I'm Jen. I only became a member of MFP a few days ago. This site was recommended to me from a colleague - I'm glad I took her advice. Thus far, I'm learning how to navigate and will be tracking my food and exercise beginning tomorrow. I'm 38, a mother of two girls and boy do I work a lot! Work keeps me so busy that I worry about finding the time to exercise, track my food, cook food, etc...; however I am motivated to do this.

I've always been very "fit". I wouldn't say that I've been thin my whole life, because I'm a big boned girl, but I've always played sports, ran, bike ride - anything to keep me outside. Two years ago, I started an Adult Kickball League where I live. It's been a lot of fun, but instead of playing I run the league - bummer.

Anyway, I want to lose 40 pounds. I think I'll look good and feel good once I reach my goal weight. I also want to run marathons. I've never done one, but I've talked about it for a very long time. This spring/summer I'm going to do it.

Good luck on your journey :)
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    hi jen u can add me if u wish, welcome and goodluck
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I love, love, love this site. So many great ideas on fitness, health and I love finding new recipes. All feel free to add me too! :flowerforyou:
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    hi kelly send me a friend request
  • SyreetaJayne1
    Options
    Welcome!! i would love to add you!
  • orangejellybean
    orangejellybean Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Boot Camps are so much fun!!! Like you i wish i could afford to do them all the time...
    Would love to know how the rest of it goes for you!

This site is amazing! The support you get is sooooooooooo helpful and for me personally, helps me stay accountable. I feel like i can get there this time.

Good luck with your journey, i would like to add you as a friend if you don't mind?

Katie
  • KcFitCoach
    KcFitCoach Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    THANKS for so many replies and the encouragement and friend requests!!! I am so excited to meet friends on here to cheer you on and have you cheer me on!!!
  • mizzdivat
    mizzdivat Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have been working hard at trying to lose weight for the longest. I have tried a lot of different things. Dieting doesn't work for me at all and i'm just now getting the exercise thing down. This site is the only program that I have been able to be consistent with and I don't feel deprived of food. I am about to hit my 2 month mark and this site has been amazing with all of the support and people who share in the journey to try and get healthy. I wish you the best in your endeavor to get healthy. We're in this together girl! Blessings,
    mizzdivat
  • KcFitCoach
    KcFitCoach Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    PS - YES on the bootcamp...the CRAZIEST part was getting my body fat % taken at the start. Oh. My. Gosh. Mine is UP there. WAY above what is ideal for my body/age. THAT is where I hope to see the most change from this bootcamp.