can i carryover major excess calories to the next day?

Options
I ate an outrageous amount of calories at about midnight until 3am, on top of the calories I had for Saturday, which were also over the calories I'm allowed for the day and i did not workout saturday. Now Sunday, I just worked out for 2 hours and I have almost 2000 calories remaining for the day, don't remember the exact amount I'm posting from my phone. Anyway, I really messed up on my eating last night. would it be safe to count those calories as part of today instead of yesterday? I want to lose weight! TIA.... you guys are awesome. :)

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options
    Well it actually was today. Midnight to 3AM is not Saturday, it's Sunday.

You can enter whatever you want whenever you want. It's the honor system, and the only person it matters to is you.
  • katoka97
    katoka97 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    just do what you normally do and you will be fine,...
    doesn't really matter if you logged in your calories yesterday or today...
    your body doesn't reset at midnight, don't worry you will be just fine
    eat less today/tomorrow, drink a lot of water, work out and everything is going to be ok...
    good luck!
  • tjreyes
    Options
    I'm not an expert by far, however, this calorie counting thing has been working for me and I'm getting used to the swing of it. My daily calorie intake is about 1600 and i lose about 2lbs a week. For thanksgiving I over ate to about 4000 cal for the day. This is what I did:

Knowing that your body "stalls" and goes into starvation mode if you eat less than 1200, you HAVE to at least eat that much every day. Since I went 2400 cal over my limit on one day, I would have to shave as much as I can over the next few days to catch up. So, I ate 1400 instead of 1600 and did light exercise (shaving 300 extra a day). I did this for about a week and caught up. You just have to know that one slip takes a long time to catch back up because of the way your body reacts. Don't worry about the slip up, though. Keep your spirits high and your goal in mind. The best way to lose weight is to have a positive outlook and never quit ever. It's life-long, so treat it like it's a part of your life now. Commit.
  • cragmor
    cragmor Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yes, as long as you do not get down on yourself. Just like how excessive calories over years lead to weight gain, a deficit over years will lead to weight loss. Maybe just look at the day to day as a guide. If you go over, or under, no big deal, at least you are keeping track. Extend the time out to a week or a month etc to track the calorie deficit. You will see that if you keep it up, a day or two of excess will be offset by the many more days of calorie deficit.
    For me, I am finding that if I think in these terms, it is really helping me to see how my body responds to different days. For example, been doing well with calorie deficits, but the weight loss slowed. I had a day where I had Mexican, cheese dip etc. I was over on calories, but only by about 300. I actually saw a weight loss the next morning of 2 lbs from the day before.
    It is like my body felt it was starving, so maybe it was storing fat rather than burning it. Gave my body a good meal, and it decided to start burning the fat again.
    I have been keeping track of my composition, and I have lost very little muscle mass so far.
    good luck.
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    Are you normally up those hours. Might just need to start from scratch Monday. I wouldnt starve myself cause of food I binged on last night
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I agree with the shaving off calories on the other days to catch up for the week. I over ate last night also, I went to Baja's Mexican Grill and had mt favorite Burrito enchilada style, I planned to but then I ate a few cookies and a few churros, I was already over because I ate real early in the morning on Saturday. I took in at least 1800-2200 calories to much. What I did was divide that amount by how many days I have left in the week and took it off my regular calorie intake for the next 5 days, it will be kinda tough but it should work. It really is Ok to have a bad day, it happens, just pick yourself back up and keep going. It can be tough but it's the only way your gonna be able to continue on and lose the weight. So far today has been a good day. I even think that sometimes your body needs those extra calories. Funny thing is, every diet I have ever been on, every time I was in the blow it mode for days on end and have given up, is when people would notice that I have lost weight. It's the funniest thing, I don't understand it but it happens every time! So not to be discouraged, just keep on keeping on and don't beat yourself up, sometimes you have to be able to fall down so you can pick yourself back up again and remember, it's a change of lifestyle of healthy eating not a race it's going to take time right?! Good luck and hope I may have helped you. I to need to remember these things as well.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I ate an outrageous amount of calories at about midnight until 3am, on top of the calories I had for Saturday, which were also over the calories I'm allowed for the day and i did not workout saturday. Now Sunday, I just worked out for 2 hours and I have almost 2000 calories remaining for the day, don't remember the exact amount I'm posting from my phone. Anyway, I really messed up on my eating last night. would it be safe to count those calories as part of today instead of yesterday? I want to lose weight! TIA.... you guys are awesome. :)

In a word; yes.

In fact, if you really go over one day, you can under-eat the next if it makes you feel better. Days where you are way under or way over are perfectly fine if you try to have a somewhat even number of both and/or don't do it all the time.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I don't know for sure but I have a hard time believing that your body works on a set 24 hour schedule like that. When I figure my deficit, I think in terms of a week. So one day I may have a lower deficit but one day a higher one. I shoot for a 7000 deficit each week - although that's getting much more difficult as I lose more weight - and I will soon have to just accept that I can't do it anymore :-(

Just try to even it out over the next few days and don't do anything crazy (like starving yourself) to make up for it. I believe it's what you do MOST of the time that counts. Just let it go and jump back on track right away!
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Yeah, absolutely. Your body doesn't stop and reset at exactly midnight and start fresh for the next day.

I do this all the time. If I eat something extra some night, I'll add it as breakfast on the next morning and eat less that day instead.