Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,381 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    It doesn't ;)

I eat around 1400 on my no exercise days and when I'm exercising/teaching classes I eat a little more (around 1600). If you are eating a big variety of healthy (no processed) then I think it's do-able if you are mostly stationary. I'm very active & the times I have tried 1200 made me really sluggish & funky.
  • shellywoodworth
    shellywoodworth Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    When I first started MFP I set it at 1200 calories, and I was always hungry. I spoke to my doctor and she told me that 1200 is the absolute minimum you should have in a day and told me to try to keep it between 1300-1500. I have been shooting for 1300 and I find that I am not always hungry. I have also added alot more protein, which has also helped a lot.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I find 1200 calories too restrictive. That's a "diet." I'm trying to learn to live a healthy "lifestyle." Maybe I would lose a bit faster on 1200, but I think I would also be more tempted to cheat. On 1200, it's pretty hard to ever find a way to have a real-live dessert without skipping an entire meal. I'd rather know that, on the days when there is a party, I can eat lighter meals and then eat a dessert at the party, than to feel as though I'm cheating. Once I feel as though I have "cheated" it's easy to throw in the towel.

For the record, MFP has me currently set at 1440--I eat a portion of my exercise calories and generally plan to eat about 1600.
  • StephaniePhotoLady
    Options
    Not much room for sweets or treats. If I do eat them, I plan for them. It will be a challenge during the holidays. Overall, I am doing okay with it.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Do you feel deprieved? How do you stretch them (calories)?

I must admit, I was on 1200 calories per day when I was losing weight and I knew that because it was not a very large amount of calories, I was not to waste a single one, by that I mean, everything I ate had to be nutritious, there was no room for empty calories, it was going to be difficult enough as it was.

I ate protein at every meal because protein is filling. I ate eggs for breakfast, this enabled me to get to lunch. For lunch I would always have either tuna, salmon or cheese, this would get me through to dinner. At dinner I would have meat, quorn or fish, a piece of fruit for afters and that would get me through until morning.

Do not skip any meals, if you do, you will find it very difficult not to binge at your next meal - and that is if you manage to last out that long!

The further into your eating plan you go, the easier it gets - but only if the food your are eating is good and nutritious, if it is not, if it is rubbish, crappy, empty calories, it is highly likely you will fall.

Give yourself every possible chance, you can do this, you just need to plan it and not hope you will "last out", several months is a hell of a long time to "last out" xxx
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I don't find it too difficult. I try to eat every few hours so that I'm not hungry. Plus I get extra calories from my workouts so I can have a special treat everyday that way I'm never feeling deprived!
  • Rjperron
    Rjperron Posts: 150
    Options
    I thought that I would have a problem keeping this calorie goal, but for the most part I've been okay with it, especially if I plan ahead and use my calories on food I really enjoy (well, healthy food I really enjoy that is!). This may sound terrible, but I enjoy my wine...a little too much, so sometimes I find myself not eating enough JUST so I can have that glass of wine, which leaves me hungry and lethargic. So, I've stepped up my exercise and made it a point to enjoy 1200 calories of healthy, nutritious food, and leave my exercise cals for treats. It's working really well, and given me the motivation to work out more!
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at 1320 cal/day (without exercise cals) to lose 1 lb. per week, and it's working. That's based on the MFP program and not on anything weird I made up myself.

One thing I'm noticing is not what I expected. If you don't eat enough fat, your body thinks it's starving and holds onto the water, so make sure you're getting that. Going over on protein doesn't seem to make a difference, though.

Keep the starchy carbs to a minimum because they make you hungry (white rice is particularly bad) and substitute veggies, especially fresh/raw ones. You'll be amazed at how full they keep you.

I remember something a dietician told me years ago.. if you eat less than what you expend, you will lose weight, and even if your body puts up a fight (by retaining water for example), it has no choice but to lose.
  • fitnwhole
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. I guess I'll just keep things the way they are. I was anxious to lose weight and decided to change my goals but like many of you I find myself still hungry so I plan to eat the recommended 1300 and with exercise eat an additional 200. It has been working for me so far. I need to just take it easy and enjoy the process....but you know how it can be sometimes...to eager:)

Thanks again for the input!!
  • rockieschick
    rockieschick Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Ive been listening to my body....I was starving myself before I started with this site.
    I find that I am doing really good on the 1200 calories but that is since I started. If next week I need more calories, I will eat them.
    I just feel if I set my goal at 1200 I try to be close to it...If I dont set it low then I will most likely start eating all those bad foods again. Hard when they are right in my kitchen :(
  • mbroeckelmanpost
    mbroeckelmanpost Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I felt like I was starving at 1200 calories-- so I bumped my calories up to my BMR (around 1380), which made a huge difference. I had been plateauing a bit, but started losing again when I bumped up my calories and feel so much better-- before, I was hungry and had headaches a lot; now I rarely have either unless I wait too long between meals.
  • Dare2BThin
    Dare2BThin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I find that if i choose the right foods I dont feel deprived I actually sometime feel like the 1200 is to much and I eat 3 meals every day and 2 snacks
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Works just fine for me - but (a bit BUT) - I eat 50-75% of my exercise calories. This makes a HUGE difference. I don't see how people can go on 1200 (or less) a day with exercise and be okay (or why they would want to...). On days I exercise I end up eating anywhere from 1300-1600 calories.

I eat lots of "clean" foods - as little processed as possible. It really does make a big difference. Lots of fresh veggies - cooked and raw. Lots of protein - I eat eggs every morning, fish, turkey, beef, etc. I also eat some vegetarian protein (scrambled tofu, seitan in my salads, wraps, etc.). I find that avoiding processed food (including breads!) means that what I do eat fills me up much more. I also eat lots of beans (I do buy canned, but only the no-salt-added) - they're great plain or mixed with other foods, and I eat carbs like quinoa, oatmeal (steel cut oats) and fruit. I do eat some dairy as well (it's processed, but I buy the type without added sugars and whatnot... plain dairy products).

Drinking enough water helps, as well.