Birth control pill??

Options
I've stopped taking my pill not to have a baby but to have a break as I've been on the pill for 19yrs and only had breaks to have my 3 children, I also thought it would help with weight loss, but omg complete opposite,
I feel really bloated and I've gained 6lbs, I've been off it for 18 days and I feel rubbish,

Anyone else had this happen?? If yes when did it all settle down? I get really down about my weight and this is making me feel worse :-( x

Replies

• MsBetteDavis
    MsBetteDavis Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Going off the pill didn't make me gain any weight but I did have some issues for a while there.

I found I kept feeling nauseous off and on (which isn't helpful when you went off the pill for reasons besides not getting pregnant) and overall I just felt kinda ugh for a long time. I spoke to my doctor about it and he told me that it can take up to about two months for your body to regulate everything out. I went off the pill at the end of April, I'd say, and by the first week or so of June I was feeling back to normal. I've been struggling with bloating too - but I also have IBS, so it's hard to pinpoint what's making me bloat.

It's possible that the weight you've gained is just water weight. So keep drinking water regularly and that should come off.
  • suenewberry81
    suenewberry81 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Fingers crossed it is water and I lose it very soon, when the doctors give us the pill they never comment on how rubbish we could feel when we decide to come off it,

Well I hope I don't feel this this for to long, thanks for replying x
  • anncook158
    anncook158 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Can you get pregnant on birth control? Absolutely! Birth control methods can be up to 99% effective if used properly.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Going off the pill messes with your hormones, so temporary weight gain could definitely be a side effect! When I took a break I didn't notice any weight gain but I got super depressed for a couple weeks and started breaking out. It'll definitely mess with you while your body gets used to a different hormone balance, try not to get discouraged and stick to your regular eating plan, it'll sort itself out eventually :)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Messing with your hormones in any way can mess up your appetite and cause temporary water retention. Stick to your guns and it will pass.