Do I still have to log vegetables in maintenance?!

Options
Ok so I used to log everything but now I'm just tired of weighing vegetables. I understand still logging fruits because they tend to be higher in cals but do you guys still bother weighing, measuring and logging vegetables?!

Replies

• myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I can see ignoring some, depending on what you care about.

If fiber, potassium don't matter, then why bother log a green pepper? Practically no calories.

But you can't disregard beans or potatoes which can easily go over 100 cals per serving or much more.

I could not do it at this point in my maintenance. Yet I also want to spend less time at it.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Vegetables have calories if you want to accurately count calories you log them. If you don't want an accurate calorie count you don't. Some vegies are reasonably high in calories especially things like potatoes. Not sure why you think its any more of a 'pain' weighing vegetables as anything else. You put it on the scales and read the number job done

Your choice really whatever works for you
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I would just be a little more loose and ready, ie instead of weighing something, just select whether its a small, medium or large one. That way you're logging, but not going to the same pain as weighing everything. Another alternative would be to have an idea what a small, medium or large specimen weighs, and just plug that in when you log it. To be honest, some people are far too anal about weighing everything, and if you're ok with slight swings and roundabouts, be a little more quick and fast. At least that's the way I would go.
  • ianthy
    ianthy Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Hi

I am probably one of those folks that still need to weigh most foods to ensure that I am logging correctly. At some point I will become more relaxed about it but for the time being logging is a price worth paying to stay within my maintenance range. One thing that helps is buying foods at the right weight e.g. fruit and veg that have standard weights for me it's 100 grms, which saves me having to weigh it again before eating etc.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I still log but don't worry about weighing or measuring unless it is higher calorie veg like taters or winter squash. I eat a lot of legumes and always measure those.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I do log my vegetables cause I eat a lot of them, but I don't see is so important too accurate with them, unlike cakes or sausage where accuracy is very important, logging a few vegs is only a couple of clicks.
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I don't log regularly anymore but when I do, I log veggies but I eyeball them - they have so few cals anyway...
    ( not potatoes etc obvisouly but green veggies etc)
  • meankeen
    meankeen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Logging is important when you are trying to lose weight. But let's face it, it's tedious and time consuming.

After six months of logging I reached my ideal weight, and I decided to stop logging on paper. From this six-month experience I know what I should eat and I know what I shouldn't eat. So I actually "log" in my head. So far so good.

If for whatever reason I do gain five pounds, I will start logging again on paper, and the weight should come off.

^ this
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I admit to getting sloppier logging really low calorie stuff since I've been on maintenance. I absolutely log everything except water and black tea, but I do a visual estimate of portion size on lettuce and a pretty good estimate on most green vegetables. I spot weigh/measure rice, potatoes, quinoa, and beans periodically as a check (I always use the same bowls, so have a got sense of what they hold) because they have a lot of calories. I absolutely weigh, count or measure things like nuts.
  • cstringfellow2013
    cstringfellow2013 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I've not been as strict in maintenance as I was when I was eating at a deficit. I will log everything, but vegetables. I'll log if I eat a baked potato, because that has to have butter and sour cream on it. But all my greens are not logged.

It just depends on what you want to do and what you want to get out of this process.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I guess that really just depends on you...

I've maintained for going on 16 months without logging anything...but that's just me. I am still very mindful of what I'm eating both in terms of quality and quantity though...but IMHO, you have to take off the training wheels at some point and see if you can just ride.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Well I never weigh food out so I would eyeball everything.
  • UK34
    UK34 Posts: 23
    Options
    Logging is important when you are trying to lose weight. But let's face it, it's tedious and time consuming.

After six months of logging I reached my ideal weight, and I decided to stop logging on paper. From this six-month experience I know what I should eat and I know what I shouldn't eat. So I actually "log" in my head. So far so good.

If for whatever reason I do gain five pounds, I will start logging again on paper, and the weight should come off.

Exactly. Once you have been weighing and counting for a while, you can then do it from eye when you go into maintenance.Has worked for me for 2 years.

I have now gained 4 pounds in the last 2 months, but I know exactly why. So I am back to the counting until they have gone.