New to this and would like to meet new people :-)

Options
Hi,

Im Donna... im scottish, living in New Zealand and only just started using this site a couple of weeks ago. Im a nurse, love my job but found I was sleeping constantly on my time off work, so i decided to do something about it ..... and get fit !!!

People have told me that eventually i will get this energy high from going to the gym... i must admit, I HAVEN"T HAD IT YET!! it still feels like a chore to me at the moment. I have been going to the gym for about 6 weeks and i got re-assessed last week.. I lost 4 and half cm's off my thighs!!! and 2 cm's from my stomach.... doesn't sound much but i can definately see the difference. Just by doing that, it has made me want to keep going. I DO have more energy since going... but joining this site has helped me become more aware of the importance of proper foods in my diet. I love that this site doesn't say DO NOT EAT THIS.... i love all foods and im also a little partial to a glass of white wine in a bubble bath after a long shift at work :-)

I have my lazy days... and i feel really guilty when i do.... what do other people do for motivation??
I found that as i work shift work, if i get straight up in the morning and go to the gym... then its over and done with for the day. Whereas, when i leave it till later, i end up talking myself out of it....

Im also embarrased to say this, but does anyone else get annoyed when you go to the gym and its BUSY?? I have my usual machines and if they'e not free, then i do the rest of my workout and leave, on the intention of coming back later when they are. I dont usually end up going back though.. Might invest in a treadmill at home :-)

Im gonna keep going, its a lot of money to pay for a membership not to use it!! Like i said, im scottish... tight fisted :-) lol....

Replies

• KcFitCoach
    KcFitCoach Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    So glad you befriended me, Donna! This is going to sound crazy, but if you are a coffee drinker consider cutting it out. I cut out coffee when I began running in the spring and after I got through the withdrawal headaches I found I HAD to run or work out to have the energy the coffee used to give me. After I fractured my leg I became again a slave to coffee. I dumped coffee about 6 weeks ago and now I'm in a place again where I am motivated daily to workout (though I am committing to 6 days a week and trying to have 1 rest day) to get my energy.

I also am trying to avoid all processed foods and watch my sugar/simple carbs intake (keeping that to very low or none every day). Those foods make me TIRED and within an hour I am starving.

For me, the exercise as replacement for my coffee fix and also earning a little bit more food for the day motivates me to get the workout IN!!!
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I do find that I have more energy after I exercise and feel better overall. As for BUSY times at the gym, I usually go there to do lap swimming and yes it annoys me to have to share a lane. It's not that I have a problem sharing, it's just that I tend to over-compensate and really try to stay away from the other person and invariably that seems to trigger them to feel like they can take up extra room. So, I try to find out from the gym folks when the least busy times are and that's when I go. It's been working out great!

I do have lazy days and really feel guilty when I do. I try to at least do something every day so I don't get complacent. And yes, waiting til late at night makes it easy to be too tired to exercise. If you get a chance to exercise in teh morning, I'd jump on it. I usually get in my major exercise during my lunch break at wor.

Good luck!
  • KcFitCoach
    KcFitCoach Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I should also add that I do not have a gym membership. Right now, I am doing a 'bootcamp' (about 15 women and two instructors....we don't use any machines, just our bodies and things like free weights, medicine balls, kettle balls, weighted bars, exercise balls, etc.) i signed up for it just for this reason - to learn how to effectively work out without depending upon a gym membership.

When I work out at home I use an elliptical (a great investment) for cardio and free weights and pick exercises from fitdeck (you can get them on Amazon). Fitdeck is a deck of cards with exercises. They are inexpensive (about $15 US) There are several, but start with the 'bodystrength' and you can also mix in yoga, pilates and core decks. These are the kinds of exercises we include in our bootcamp.
  • larousse_37
    Options
    Hi,

Im Donna... im scottish, living in New Zealand and only just started using this site a couple of weeks ago. Im a nurse, love my job but found I was sleeping constantly on my time off work, so i decided to do something about it ..... and get fit !!!

People have told me that eventually i will get this energy high from going to the gym... i must admit, I HAVEN"T HAD IT YET!! it still feels like a chore to me at the moment. I have been going to the gym for about 6 weeks and i got re-assessed last week.. I lost 4 and half cm's off my thighs!!! and 2 cm's from my stomach.... doesn't sound much but i can definately see the difference. Just by doing that, it has made me want to keep going. I DO have more energy since going... but joining this site has helped me become more aware of the importance of proper foods in my diet. I love that this site doesn't say DO NOT EAT THIS.... i love all foods and im also a little partial to a glass of white wine in a bubble bath after a long shift at work :-)

I have my lazy days... and i feel really guilty when i do.... what do other people do for motivation??
    I found that as i work shift work, if i get straight up in the morning and go to the gym... then its over and done with for the day. Whereas, when i leave it till later, i end up talking myself out of it....

Im also embarrased to say this, but does anyone else get annoyed when you go to the gym and its BUSY?? I have my usual machines and if they'e not free, then i do the rest of my workout and leave, on the intention of coming back later when they are. I dont usually end up going back though.. Might invest in a treadmill at home :-)

Im gonna keep going, its a lot of money to pay for a membership not to use it!! Like i said, im scottish... tight fisted :-) lol....

Hi Donna!!

I'm relatively new as well, and live in Australia. You sound rather similar to me, particularly with getting the crankies when the gym is packed (I ended up cancelling my membership...) I have very little willpower, so if my machines were occupied I ended up just leaving haha.. Now I keep motivated by ensuring I exercise FIRST THING in the morning.. like you, I usually talk my way out of it if I leave it until later. I also have two incredibly active dogs that get depressed if I don't walk them, and they also get very restless and drive the whole neighbourhood mad with constant barking. Sooo I feel guilty if I don't take them out regularly. I also find I'd rather work out harder and faster than slower and longer.. so Id prefer a 20 minute run any day to an hour long walk. Even the 30 Day Shred dvd is very handy. I also find having friends on this site help keep you accountable and it keeps you on track, although it sounds like you've already discovered that fact. Feel free to add me, and I'll see you around!
  • nubreeze33
    Options
    Hey welcome! You know I used to get frustrated with the gym when it's packed until I began getting the high you are talking about. Now? I just stretch until what I would like to do is free, I remember they are trying to get it in like me. Also I try to pin point rush hour times, which are pretty consistent. Now I don't go first thing in the morning, alot of people are thinking the same thing, and early evenings, like between 6-8 packed! And I don't allow my brain to talk me out of it when I hear that voice I say no and IMMEDIATELY get up and go. I have learned that inner voice can be EVIL at times and is the reason I struggle with weight in the first place. That voice is slowly going away. Wishing you the best in your journey luv. Again welcome.