Kangaroo style spaghetti bolognaise

Heaps of info on nutritional benefits of Roo here
http://www.macromeats-gourmetgame.com.au/Nutrition.aspx

Per 100g
Cals 107
Protein 22g
Carbs .3g
Fat 1.3g

So I decided to try the mince for the first time yesterday. I have had the steak, sausages and roast before. Don't like the sausages but the other two are great.

So my recipe was
1kg Roo mince
200g onion
5 carrots
lots of mixed herbs
lots of peri peri spices
1 jar 5 brothers tomato, onion and basil pasta sauce

1. Grease frypan
2. Chuck mince in. Seperate and simmer
3. Add other veges
4. After a little while, I tipped out the excess juices
5. Add spices and pasta sauce

DONE

I had it with 1 cup arborio rice as I prefer rice over processed pasta and nutrition for whole meal is:

Cals 508
Protein 62g
Carbs 65g
Fat 5g

(add a tiny bit of fat for coconut oil but it was 1tspn or 40cals divided by 5 meals)

Replies

• xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    What is kangaroo meat like? Is it gamey or mild like beef?
  • wait, you ATE a kangaroo!? but they're so cute!! i didn't even know people ate kangaroos.. weird..
  • shardown
    shardown Posts: 258 Member
    I find kangaroo meat to taste a lot like beef but a bit more on the tender side. Or maybe that's because I had it as a medium rare steak :p
  • shardown
    shardown Posts: 258 Member
    wait, you ATE a kangaroo!? but they're so cute!! i didn't even know people ate kangaroos.. weird..

Kangaroos are a pest in Australia so we eat them :D they're not cute and would punch/kick you if you get too close to them.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    wait, you ATE a kangaroo!? but they're so cute!! i didn't even know people ate kangaroos.. weird..

Kangaroos are a pest in Australia so we eat them :D they're not cute and would punch/kick you if you get too close to them.

Kind of like Deer are here in the U.S.
  • Dom82
    Dom82 Posts: 235
    I love kangaroo meant. I had the sausages last night.. with a bit of fruit chunty they are good :)

Will have to try that one out :) my OH makes a really good kangaroo curry :)
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    where did you get the kangaroo meat?!?!? i have been looking for an exotic meat supplier!!!
    did you get it from macro meats? or where you just useing their site for the info?
  • Dom82
    Dom82 Posts: 235
    Sexygenius- can't help you with a US supplier. WE can buy at our super market in Australia :)
  • Kangaroo meat is widely available in Australia.. at my local supermarket it's pretty much available as much as beef is. I wish I liked it; lower in fat, higher in protein. But ugh.. It's too.. sweet?? I don't know. Even the smell makes me gag.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Yeah, it tastes pretty gamey if you get the steaks. The roasts are usually premarinated so they are less gamey. The sausages are just weird to me, hate the smell of them.

If you have an issue with the smell, this recipe is the go as you can't smell the meat at all just the herbs and stuff.

And yeah, sorry can't help with a US supplier sorry. I'm an Aussie.
  • Hmmmm... I'd like to, but I'm not sure I'm game! (excuse the pun) we made a spaghetti and meatball kind of dish with kangaroo a while ago and I couldn't handle the smell at all.. and I ate probably three bites. Even the smell of the house while it was cooking... I just don't think kangaroo meat is my thing. Saying that though, I once had a kangaroo stew that was delicious, so perhaps slow cooking is the answer to my problem...
  • addman72
    addman72 Posts: 220
    We ( Australia) are the only country thats eats our national emblem.

I dont know if I can eat it , Im not one for trying new things , and to eat Skippy , thats just not right.

I'm starting get bored of chicken breasts though. So maybe I might have to give it a go.
  • They are a pest if it makes you feel any better! Crocodile's a good one if you're up for it?
  • ThoughtsOfBelle
    ThoughtsOfBelle Posts: 34 Member
    I love kangaroo - especially the pre-marinated steaks/roasts etc. I also love that the sausages are called "kanga bangas" - cracks me up. haha
This discussion has been closed.