What's a Healthy Amount of Calories?

Options
Hi.
I'm 202 pounds as of now, and I want to lose weight.
First off--let me be completely honest. I have no idea what the healthy calorie intake is to lose weight, if anything, I've been eating an unhealthy amount--as in TOO LITTLE.
I notch the number of my calorie intake up 100 calories every month and a half though.

I'm 202, my goal weight is 170-160.
What would be a good amount of calories to eat everyday to make that happen before ... let's say .... December?
I read somewhere like 1,400, but what do you think?

Replies

• caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? If your goal weight is 160 I'm assuming that you are fairly tall. How old? Why not figure out your BMR and then figure out your TDEE and go from there? Here is an example, lets assume you are a 30 year old female, average height (5'4) moderately active (workout 3-5 days a week) you weigh 202 (your current weight) and want to lose 40 pounds (that will bring you down to 162. ) :
    The BMR for such a woman would be 1621. That's how much she needs to maintain her weight with no or little exercise.
    If she is moderately active then her TDEE is 2616. So if you eat between your BMR and TDEE you will lose weight. How quickly depends upon how much exercise and how many calories you consume.
    I got these numbers from fitnessfrog.com
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You should visit a doctor before starting your weight loss journey. He can give you better advice than anyone else. :)
  • btc1987
    btc1987 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? If your goal weight is 160 I'm assuming that you are fairly tall. How old? Why not figure out your BMR and then figure out your TDEE and go from there? Here is an example, lets assume you are a 30 year old female, average height (5'4) moderately active (workout 3-5 days a week) you weigh 202 (your current weight) and want to lose 40 pounds (that will bring you down to 162. ) :
    The BMR for such a woman would be 1621. That's how much she needs to maintain her weight with no or little exercise.
    If she is moderately active then her TDEE is 2616. So if you eat between your BMR and TDEE you will lose weight. How quickly depends upon how much exercise and how many calories you consume.
    I got these numbers from fitnessfrog.com

This is good advice. One thing I would add is to not set yourself a time goal. You should shoot for maintaining a new lifestyle in which you are conscious of what you are eating and consuming less. The weight will come off with this change as an added bonus!

Setting a time goal makes it feel like a race and once you get there, you're done. That's not the case!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Read the stickies in the Getting Started forum, especially the sexypants thread. It will help you set your goals. Good luck!