FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE A FOOD ADDICTION

Options
2»

Replies

• kewkdb
    kewkdb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE A FOOD ADDICTION

Technically speaking everyone and everything has a food addiction... just say'n >_<
  • gracefullyjenn
    Options
    this is me to a capital T. Always in the evening after a good day
  • kathdela
    kathdela Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I saw an interesting show on hunger and the brain on ABCnews the other night. They explained that in normal people, when they crave something, they take a bite and their amigdala stops the cravings. In people with food addiction, they take a bite and the cravings increase until they're full.

I just thought that was pretty interesting.

http://www.fit-after-fifty.com/blogit/blog6.php?title=food-addiction-certain-foods-arouse-your-brain&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

"In Kessler's new book, "The End of Overeating," he describes how the part of the brain the amygdale, which is the area of the brain that controls our desires, can affect overeating.

For most of people, when they see a tempting snack like a potato chip, it's the area of the brain will light up with activity and send feelings of anticipation and want. And once they start eating it shuts off. But for an overeater the amygdala remains activated while eating, creating that feeling of want, even after five, 10 or even 50 chips.

"We now know that the brains of millions of Americans are being excessively activated. Not everybody," Kessler said. "Let me give you [some] characteristics. Hard time resisting foods, a lack of feeling full, hard time stopping, a preoccupation, a thinking about foods between meals. And the foods that really arouse our brains are a combination of sugar, fat and salt, in other words, junk food.""

"Small noted there was an area of the brain that "should be shut off when you actually taste what you've been smelling."

"In people that are overweight or obese, the area's not being shut off. It's still so high," she said."
  • myfallwedding
    Options
    i think i have been dealing with this my whole life. I have really good days where I feel ok and acceptance runs deep inside me. Then. Out of nowhere, I will eat a whole box of cookies. I love carbs abd cheese, its definalty my downfall. I have tons of support and I know dieting tools from here to china. I just cant seem to keep my mind and body onthe same schedule.
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I am so with you, too. I started binge eating at 5 years old, if you can believe that! I've done a ton of research and it seems that folks like you and I have brain chemistry which is sensitive to the feel-good trifecta of sugar-fat-salt. The combination of those three three items (which will be in your spaghetti bowl) triggers dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine in the brain, which are three seriously addictive brain chemicals for some people (myself included). Also, you may want to check out the latest issue of Prevention magazine for its article on salt. New research points to salt also being addictive because it triggers the release of dopamine in the brain.

Given all of the this information, I have found, like a lot of people who have responded here, that limiting certain types of carbs for a while makes the cravings and binge urges easier to turn away from (usually refined sugar, flour, and salty items). Also, I find that when a binge urge comes on, don't talk yourself into the first bite if you suspect you'll be overpowered by the urge after the first bite, and try popping in an exercise video for 10-20 minutes instead. I have found that exercise makes cravings go away; I suspect it's because it generates feel-good brain chemicals to satisfy that urge. Also, flavored herbal teas seem to trick my brain into thinking I'm taking in something sweet and it gets rid of urges enough to ignore them (chamomile and peppermint are my faves).

In any case, forgive yourself and get back on the tracking train. Every small failure is a lesson in what your triggers are, and you can overpower those urges with a whole of practice.

You're not alone! :)

I think that is very interesting because I certainly never understood how WHILE i'm eating I'm so happy and so content and so into shoveling food in my face....and then...once I'm so full I can burst or can't lay on my back cuz i'm so full hits...i get SO mad :grumble: and I'm like WUT DID I DO THAT FOR?! Having 4 kids doesn't help cuz they love all things sweet and salty..in moderation of course but for me that temptation is awful and sometimes i have to tell my kids if you want it you need to get it because after a certain time...i can't go back into the kitchen cuz then I'm lookin in cabinets, the fridge the pantry for something..never really know wut I'm looking for but I find myself lookin. Now I bought a ridiculous amount of extra which i still have yet to try the dessert tasting kind but when i do that I quickly put a piece of gum in my mouth and grab a big glass of water and then I'm good to go...so stay strong. your not alone...Good luck to you in the future and know that you've done well enough to lose 50+ lbs and you can continue to do so. You are in control! :drinker:
  • MISTTIMG
    MISTTIMG Posts: 136
    Options
    I saw an interesting show on hunger and the brain on ABCnews the other night. They explained that in normal people, when they crave something, they take a bite and their amigdala stops the cravings. In people with food addiction, they take a bite and the cravings increase until they're full.
    I just thought that was pretty interesting.

http://www.fit-after-fifty.com/blogit/blog6.php?title=food-addiction-certain-foods-arouse-your-brain&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

"In Kessler's new book, "The End of Overeating," he describes how the part of the brain the amygdale, which is the area of the brain that controls our desires, can affect overeating.
    For most of people, when they see a tempting snack like a potato chip, it's the area of the brain will light up with activity and send feelings of anticipation and want. And once they start eating it shuts off. But for an overeater the amygdala remains activated while eating, creating that feeling of want, even after five, 10 or even 50 chips.
    "We now know that the brains of millions of Americans are being excessively activated. Not everybody," Kessler said. "Let me give you [some] characteristics. Hard time resisting foods, a lack of feeling full, hard time stopping, a preoccupation, a thinking about foods between meals. And the foods that really arouse our brains are a combination of sugar, fat and salt, in other words, junk food.""
    "Small noted there was an area of the brain that "should be shut off when you actually taste what you've been smelling."
    "In people that are overweight or obese, the area's not being shut off. It's still so high," she said."

Yes that is an interesting article, I guess we (overweight folks) are thinking if the first bite was good and satisfying then the last bite will be the same. I have decided to give myself a "cheat day" beginning at 12 midnight Saturday night until midnight Sunday night. That way during the week all I have to think about is staying within calories for one day at a time, then if I really am craving something (not liver and broccoli) I can have it on that one cheat day. It may slow down my loss but maybe in the long run I can meet my goal.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    The book Women Food and God by Geneen Roth is a great read if you suffer from food addiction. I read it in January and have binged ONCE since. The book was life changing for me.

Here's an excerpt from Oprah.com:

http://www.oprah.com/health/An-Excerpt-from-Geneen-Roths-Women-Food-And-God

YOU CAN OVERCOME THIS ADDICTION!!!

Charmagne