Making up for not enough calories?

Options
So, some days, like today, I will end needing to eat a ton more calories after dinner, but I don't want to just shove a ton of food in my face all at once. I don't feel like I starve myself during the day (I actually feel like I eat a lot), but since I work out I will have to eat a lot of calories at night. Is this ok? I don't eat snacks, and maybe I should. It's just that sometimes my dinner has a lot of fat and ends up being high in calories, so I kind of "save" more of my calories for my dinner. Then, when it ends up being less calories, I don't know what to do. This happens frequently. What is the best thing to do? My family cooks dinner (although it is always very healthy with healthy fats, just sometimes higher on calories), so I can't control what I eat then - only for breakfast and lunch can I control what I eat.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can find out what's for dinner ahead of time?? This way you can better plan your earlier meals.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can find out what's for dinner ahead of time?? This way you can better plan your earlier meals.

This. Or, if you can't find out, just eat a calorie dense snack afterwards that can help you hit your macros: celery and peanut butter, ice cream, etc.
  • kufambrian
    kufambrian Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    A lot of times, what is made for dinner is decided at the last minute. Meal-planning doesn't really happen at our house. :P Thank you though!
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Well, you could always have a dessert and if you still end up being under cals a few days in a row, allow yourself to have an overall higher calorie day. Maybe to go out for lunch, have your favorite frozen coffee drink, or have a night out. I don't typically do the whole 'banking' calories or calorie balancing, but if it helped you and works, then you could go for it. Another thing you could do is take a bag of nuts with you (one or two servings in a snack bag or you can buy them already pre-packaged) and call home and if dinner is going to have you sorta low, snack on those on your way there. But I call dessert. LOL
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter.
  • tiffanyaiv
    tiffanyaiv Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    What about making up for being quite under for previous days?
  • sparillo
    sparillo Posts: 6
    Options
    Don't worry about not having enough calories sometimes. You don't need to eat up to your limit every day. I promise you will not go into the mythical starvation mode.
  • ncscott11
    ncscott11 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have this problem some days too! Usually if I am significantly under I find that the next day I am more hungry (or even if I'm not), so I'll just let myself be a little over for the day. It all balances out in the end. Or the other thing I started doing recently was in the mornings I know I will work out later in the day I start it off with a protein shake. That adds easy calories to the day and you can make it more calorie dense depending on what you add to it. Or you could always look at doing more of a weekly deficit instead of a daily if it helps you out better in the long run.
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Eat a snack and if you still have cals left over add bacon to your next morning breakfast.