what to eat with a protein shake for breakfast?

Options
danaxsa
danaxsa Posts: 17 Member
Hi all ,

what would you guys suggest to have with a protein shake smoothie for breakfast ? my shake contains protein powder , cocoa , beet , soy milk , oats and honey but clocks in at a fairly low calorie for breakfast so im wondering what else i should add to my meal

Replies

• smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    How low cal? I try to eat under 300 for breakfast. I can't imagine needing any more than that shake. What else would you want to eat?
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Hi all ,

what would you guys suggest to have with a protein shake smoothie for breakfast ? my shake contains protein powder , cocoa , beet , soy milk , oats and honey but clocks in at a fairly low calorie for breakfast so im wondering what else i should add to my meal

Peanut butter? I don't know if it would mesh with the other ingredients. You could also try unflavored Greek yogurt. Could give it a creamy texture. Yours sounds good, though.
  • lilmiss_sunshine29
    lilmiss_sunshine29 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    - banana
    - raspberries/blueberries (low calories too)
    - mango
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Just add more oats and a frozen banana to it.

I do:

2 scoops protein powder
    1.5 cups 1% milk
    1 cup oats
    1 frozen banana

It comes out to 880 calories / 110g carbs / 10g fat / 88g protein

If that's still not enough for you just add a little bit more milk, another half cup of oats and another banana to get you up to ~1200. Oh yea add a few scoops of peanut butter if you're really hardcore bulking. You will easily be at over 1500 calories in a single shake.

If you have good tasting protein powder you can skip the cocoa powder and honey altogether because the shake will already taste pretty good.

Edit: Make sure you grind the oats into a fine powder first. <- This is the most important step.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    if I have a protein shake or smoothie for breakfast...it is breakfast. But yeah toss in a banana if it's that low in cals.

Edited because spellcheck is picky.
  • smarieallen85
    Options

I do:

2 scoops protein powder
    1.5 cups 1% milk
    1 cup oats
    1 frozen banana

If that's still not enough for you just add a little bit more milk, another half cup of oats and another banana to get you up to ~1200. Oh yea add a few scoops of peanut butter if you're really hardcore bulking. You will easily be at over 1500 calories in a single shake.

If you have good tasting protein powder you can skip the cocoa powder and honey altogether because the shake will already taste pretty good.

holy shmoly. bulking woot woot. It's hard to believe that is really 880 calories!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i do 8 ounces of vanilla almond milk, 1 scoop of protein powder, a 1/4 cup of uncooked oats, two tablespoons of peanut butter, and a banana. it came out to 625 calories.
  • HisBeloved65
    Options
    Hmm I have never tried oats in a smoothie. Might give it a try.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options

I do:

2 scoops protein powder
    1.5 cups 1% milk
    1 cup oats
    1 frozen banana

holy shmoly. bulking woot woot. It's hard to believe that is really 880 calories!

Yea it's a great way to meet your calorie goals. You don't get hungry while you're drinking the shake because you down it so fast. Then it hits you.. 15-20 minutes after you finished it you're really full and realize you just had a 1000 calorie meal.

And it can be so flexible. If you want more calories, use whole milk instead, or add more oats, or add some peanut butter or more fruit. If you want less calories, 1% milk or almond milk, or less oats, or skip the peanut butter altogether.

Plus if you have good protein powder the shake actually tastes really damn good so it is very enjoyable.

Just make sure you blend the oats into powder form before anything else so that the shake has a nice consistency to it. I forgot to do that once and ended up drinking chunky oats and had to chew on them, instead of just drinking them, which sucked.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    If you aren't satisfied with a protein shake for breakfast, eat real food and save the protein shake for a morning snack.
  • kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    My protein shake is 275 calories - I don't eat anything else with it, but that's because I eat 5-6 times a day.
  • nicoletteamber
    nicoletteamber Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I do protein shake (fitmiss chocolate delight) with unsweetened almond milk and 6 tbs scrambled egg whites. Then about 1-2 hours later I have plain non fat greek yogurt with almond milk in it, strawberries, blueberries, chia seeds, flax seeds. If I want to make a full breakfast or meal out of the yogurt I throw in either some protein powder or my fav. steel cut oats! Delicious!
  • danaxsa
    danaxsa Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks all !!! I think the shake is enough I'll just up the oats !!
  • smarieallen85
    Options

I do:

2 scoops protein powder
    1.5 cups 1% milk
    1 cup oats
    1 frozen banana

Yea it's a great way to meet your calorie goals. You don't get hungry while you're drinking the shake because you down it so fast. Then it hits you.. 15-20 minutes after you finished it you're really full and realize you just had a 1000 calorie meal.

And it can be so flexible. If you want more calories, use whole milk instead, or add more oats, or add some peanut butter or more fruit. If you want less calories, 1% milk or almond milk, or less oats, or skip the peanut butter altogether.

Plus if you have good protein powder the shake actually tastes really damn good so it is very enjoyable.

Just make sure you blend the oats into powder form before anything else so that the shake has a nice consistency to it. I forgot to do that once and ended up drinking chunky oats and had to chew on them, instead of just drinking them, which sucked.

Well...thanks. Considering my goal is 1200 calories/day I cannot eat such an indulgent shake. My protein powder goes in water with ice and it's...delicious. I guess.