Searching for a Homemade mac n cheese recipe!!

Options
I love kraft deluxe mac n cheese but have been steering away from it due to calories, I just dont want to indulge in something so high in fat and calories anymore. Was wondering if anyone had a good tasting recipe for homemade mac n cheese??

Thanks!!!
Liz

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Macaroni and Cheese

(Vegetarian Times Magazine)

Serves 8

The secret to slimming down this classic recipe? Finding just the right proportions for the cream sauce and cheese. For extra flavor and crunch, try folding in chopped green onion and sprinkling breadcrumbs on top.

INGREDIENTS 10 oz. medium elbow macaroni (3 cups)

2 Tbs. unsalted butter plus more for brushing pan

2 Tbs. unbleached white flour

2½ cups low-fat milk

2¼ cups grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese (5 oz.), divided

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 400°F.

2. Cook macaroni according to package directions until al dente. Drain.

3. Melt 2 Tbs. butter in saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour, and cook 1 minute. Add milk, and cook 6 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly.

4. Remove from heat; stir in 1½ cups cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over noodles, and combine.

5. Transfer to 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining ¾ cup cheese. Bake 45 minutes, or until top is crisp and beginning to brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

PER SERVING: 269 CAL, 12 G PROT, 11 G TOTAL FAT (6 G SAT FAT), 31 G CARB,

31 MG CHOL, 447 MG SOD, 1 G FIBER, 5 G SUGARS

:flowerforyou:
  • bottom
    bottom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My favorite, and a good way to sneak in veggies.

2 c. uncooked mac
    1/4 c. flour
    1 3/4 c. fat free milk
    3 1/2 oz. red. fat shredded cheddar
    6 oz. Velveeta
    1 tb. Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    6 oz. frozen chopped spinach
    1 can no salt added petite diced tomatoes, drained

1. Preheat to 375. Non-stick spray in casserole dish. Cook macaroni according to directions.
    2. Heat large pot over med. heat. Add flour, gradually add milk, stirring with whisk until well blended. Stir until thickened, about 6 min. Add cheeses and stir vigorously until melted. Add Worst. sauce and pepper.
    3. Remove from heat. Add spinach, mix well. Add tomatoes and macaroni, mix well.
    4. Pour into prepared dish, bake uncovered 30-35 min.
    Optional: 1/4 c. bread crumbs on top, and/or mix in crushed red peppers.

Serving: 1 cup, contains 242 cal, 5 g fat, 33 g carbs
  • SturgeonGal
    Options
    My husbands mac n cheese is good and easy, Boil Noodles of choice in water with a little butter to prevent sticking, add garlic, cheyenne to water... when done drain and mix in velveta cheese ( they make a 2%) until desired creamyness.. ( Doesnt take much we generally use a box of pasta to a 1/4-1/3 block of velveta.. I like to have it as a side with steamed brocolli . the seasonings in the water give the pasta a little kick. Our whole family loves it including or picky eater :-)
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh yummy! i love mac and cheese!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I do not use a recipe. There are 2 types of macaroni and cheese recipes. The typical one is with a white sauce base using butter, flour and a liquid like milk which is also is the base for gravy that uses meat drippings for the grease and liquid. The way I like to make mac & cheese is with a custard base of milk and egg. So I boil the macaroni (2 cups uncooked) as directed on the package. You can use whole wheat. Then I add the amount of cheese I want - alot. You can use part low fat. I add a cup of milk (you can use fat free or 1% which is what I use) with 1 egg beaten and mixed with the milk. You can add a vegetable such as spinach or yellow squash. Then I bake for about 30 minutes in 375 degrees. You could use egg whites but I think yolks have a bum rap and I only eat eggs for breakfast on the weekend so I don't worry about getting 1/4 of an egg during the week.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    1 1/2 cups whole wheat macaroni elbows
    Nonstick cooking spray
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 table spoon whole wheat flour
    1/2 cup nonfat milk
    1/2 cup cauliflower puree
    1 1/2 cups fat free cheddar cheese
    4 ounces fat free cheese
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon paprika
    1/8 teaspoon pepper

Boil macaroni and drain, while it's cooking:

Coat a large saucepan with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add oil then flour and cook stirring constantly until the mixture resembles a thick paste but has not browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Then add the milk and cook stirring every now and then until the mixture begins to thicken, 3-4 minutes. Add the cauliflower puree, cheddar, cream cheese and seasonings and stir until the cheese is melted and sauce is smooth. Stir in the macaroni and serve warm.

Seriously delicious.
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    These all sound so yummy! I also add a touch of mustard in mine- kicks it up a bit.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I have an amazingly delicious recipe from Martha Stewart, but it's not low cal. It's got 8 ounces of cream cheese and a whole pound of cheddar. Needless to say, even though it's a family favorite, it doesn't get made often anymore!
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lizf02
    lizf02 Posts: 41
    Options
    Thank you so much they all sound so good! Cant wait to try them out!!!