Heart Rate Monitor--40bpm

Options
İs it likely that my resting heart rate is 40bpm?? when i first bought my HRM i set the rest rate as 70bpm but now i seem to be resting at 40bpm now. For some reason i am burning calories at nearly 100 cals per hour when i am resting with the setting at 70bpm-which to me seems a hgh rate?? --its a rather complicated instrument to alter things on and i have lost the instructions--i have lost 22lbs since my bmi was taken for input to the hrm. it was 1767 and now according to here it is 1584.

İf i reduced it to 40bpm i would guess the calorie 'burn' rate would get even higher??--i burned 5000 calories in 2 days of which 1000 was burnt in a hard work out of 2 hours--so general work and living averaged 2000 cals per day( i am a teacher) so not exactly running marathons!!-

Replies

• Craig772
    Craig772 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Yep. If I sit down during the day and concentrate then I can get my heart rate to 42 - 44. You need to keep updating the HRM watch with your latest weight etc or the calculations will be out. Try searching on the internet for your manual. A lot of mainstream manufacturers host PDF versions on their websites.

To have confidence in your HR why not take your own pulse whilst resting.
  • muse1
    muse1 Posts: 2
    Options
    for most of my waking day i stay about 70bpm and the only time it goes back to 40bpm is when i have been sat at rest and not even watching tv--i will try to explore the settings because i am sure i cant consume nearly 100 cals per hour in normal life!?? -the only thing i see is that going down to 40bpm will raise the cals burnt! i dont know how the bmr is calculated against bpm to alter the calorie consumption??
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Are you wearing it all day because that's entirely useless. Heart rate monitors only work for cardio activity. Anything else for calories burned isn't going to be accurate. 40 is low unless you're an elite athlete or a runner. Take your resting heart rate when you wake up in the morning before getting out of bed. If you're working out hard, doing endurance workouts, long runs then yes 40BPM is very reasonable. But to be sure, check it when you first get up in the morning while still lying in bed. I usually test it for about 5 minutes when I wake up.

Also try it how craig suggested.
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i wore it for 24 hours just to see what kind of rate my heart was going at during(stressful) lessons--i think it toped out at 92bpm! and what kind of cals i used!--actually over the time spread it was quite close to my bmr added to my exercise program! i will just use it during exercise as i have proved my pointless experiment!(i need a new battery now!!)