The key to not eating all those holiday yummies...

sillygoose1977
sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
...is to make them. This weekend my mom and I made chocolate chip cookies, white chocolate macadamia cookies, White chocolate cherry cookies, peanut butter bars, homemade peppermint patties, coconut chocolate bars, butterscotch cream cheese bars, cinnamon cayenne pecans, and spritz cookies with cream cheese frosting. I can tell you that I never want to eat anything sweet again. EVER. I didn't even taste anything we made. I have cured my sweet tooth. For a while, anyway. It was a great time baking with my mom and it got me into the holiday spirit. I love giving the gift of home cooked treats.

Replies

• 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    No offense, but that would NOT work for me. :noway: I'd be taking bites and "just a taste" all the way through and end up sick. :sick:
  • oh honey.. i couldn't do that either.. lol i'd eat a bite or two or 12 of everything i made!! just like my cinnamon rolls i made last night.. they were delish.. and now i just want 12 more!! lol
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    I bake cookies to give as gifts, too, and my annual Big Bake weekend is coming up very soon. it's about the only time of the year that I make cookies and have been known to completely go crazy with the snickerdoodles, so here's hoping I can display as much restraint.

okay, I won't. I already know I'll have at least a few cookies. :) the trick is, to keep it to only a few.
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    No offense, but that would NOT work for me. :noway: I'd be taking bites and "just a taste" all the way through and end up sick. :sick:

I am in completely agree with you!!! I'd be "taste testing" the entire time and probably end up eating more doing that then if I were to just have a couple goodies at a holiday party!
  • VickiDant
    VickiDant Posts: 3 Member
    If you wouldn't eat them ever again, doesn't that seem like a bad idea to give them to other people to eat?
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    LOL. I agree. Seeing what goes into some things keeps me from eating them, or at least makes me eat them more moderately (like pie, after making a pie crust!) ... On a similar note, I worked at Cracker Barrel and still can't eat their gravy since I have seen them pour the entire tubs and tubs of lard in to make it. I can't even touch the stuff! Now, the biscuits on the other hand... yum! But I know what's in them too so I don't eat as many as I would were I in the "how bad could it be" mindset!

My trick for the holidays is I don't go anywhere with food! It's the only time it's nice to have no friends or family local! No temptation at parties or dinners! I do make cookies with my son on Christmas Eve, but have to resist the urge to make a double batch!
  • Jourdan_Rystrom
    Jourdan_Rystrom Posts: 176 Member
    Yeah don't think it would work for me either....the SMELLS would be so yummy I would have to try at least one of all of them...
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    eeeek....there would be too many BLT's...Bites, Licks, and tastes (thanks pep)...I couldnt do that!! Solid Willpower for you though!! Nice job!!
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    If you wouldn't eat them ever again, doesn't that seem like a bad idea to give them to other people to eat?

Why would it be a bad idea? We made my boyfriend and dad taste everything and it was all really amazing. I just was overwhelmed after smelling sweetness all day. It had nothing to do with willpower, it just made me sick smelling butter and sugar and chocolate all day. :sick: Trust me, I normally love all that stuff. If I didn't, I wouldn't be here :ohwell: .

I give treats as gifts every year to the same people and they love it.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member

Maybe if she gave the ENTIRE batch of all of it to one person! :laugh:
  • Wouldn't work for me either, they all sound wonderful! When I go to holiday parties, I just avoid the food table! Went to one Saturday night and can't even tell you what they had to eat, but I'm sure it was wonderful. That way I am not even tempted!
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member

I think homemade yummies make great Holiday gifts :bigsmile:
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Worked for me! Yesterday I made choc chip cookies, peanut log candies, and chocolate covered peanut butter ball candies. After inhaling all that confectioners sugar, and being goopy to my elbows half the day I didn't want any at all! My boyfriend gets to take most of them to work with him, and some get sent to Florida to his parents. I never have been interested in overly sweet things anyway (except dark chocolate).
This discussion has been closed.