OHH NO I have to see the Ortho

JennBennett410
JennBennett410 Posts: 229
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
So I blew out my knee. It is KILLING ME! I went to the er today and they put me in a knee brace and no exercise (obviously) I am going to see the Ortho tomorrow morning, but I was wondering if anyone knew any tip or advice to keep active IF I have knee problems. I love running and I am already sad I haven't run since Saturday.
I have a gym membership so I want to keep going, but what is easier on my knee until I am healed (I don't even know what is wrong yet :(
I am SO AFRAID I am goign to put weight on like RIGHT AWAY! PLEASE HELP!

Replies

• YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Hey Jenn,
    Upper body stuff is fine to do. There are exercises that are non weight bearing. Do a search on the internet and I'm sure you will find tons of info. I'm sorry you are side lined from running. I know how frustrating it is. hang in there and let us know what the ortho says.
    Risa:flowerforyou:
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    You're getting way ahead of yourself here. Wait until the ortho tells you what's up with it, then ask him/her for advice. That's your best bet as he's your doctor

Otherwise, calm down. It'll be fine. If you have to go to PT and can't run/bike/walk you'll get amazing core strength and build back your leg/knee muscles. Don't make it worse by doing something that's not doctor-sanctioned. Been there, done that and I spent 8 months in PT as a result.

Good luck!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Don't do anything exercise that involves your knees until you see your doctor. You may only have an inflammation and ice, rest, and some OTC medication for inflammation maybe the only thing that you need. However, if you do futher damage to the joint, then you will be in more pain and the situation may became chronic.

If you have hand weights you can do some bicepts and triceps, and shoulder exercises. Back and chest and abdominals will be good, too but no matter what, don't run, bike, or walk in the trademill or the elliptical until you get the ok from your doctor.

I hope that you heal soon.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Just check out my exercise logs. I tore my patella tendon about 2 months ago and have been doing upper body weights, boxing cardio, Pilates, Yoga (seated), and physical therapy ever since. You can still workout, it just takes being careful to avoid further injury..
  • beqy12
    beqy12 Posts: 569
    :flowerforyou: BRIGHT SIDE
    I had to sit out a collegiate pre-season one year to heal an ankle injury. Too make sure I didn't look lazy - I did ab work during all the practices while everyone else ran around - the constant, dedicated ab work gave me defined abs for the first (and only) time in my life!!

Edit - but good luck with the Doc... I hope it's the best case scenario. Best wishes!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    I agree with others. Wait to see what the ortho says. Then ask about biking or swimming. Depends on the type of injury you have.

Good Luck.
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Knee issues are bad news. Like everyone else has said, wait to see what the Dr has to say. Let him know you want to stay active and I am sure he will suggest some things. A couple things that come to mind are anything in a pool. The water is low/no impact and provides great resistance training. You can work your upper body all you want. You still have one good leg, so you can use that to assist in chin ups. If you are super coordinated, you may be able to use the row machine, but only strap in one leg, keeping you injured knee straight.

No matter what, do not come back too early. Take the time you need to heal and it will prevent nagging and lingering injuries in the future.

Good luck!!!
This discussion has been closed.