Snoring?

Options
sinker59
sinker59 Posts: 130
I've got a lot of reasons to want to improve my fitness and lose fat. Among them is a desire to stop snoring! Evidently I'm gifted in that regard. I've done a sleep test, and I do not have sleep apnea, but according to the technician I snore 'really damn loud' It's so bad I've been asked to leave deer camp (think about that) and spend most nights relegated to the guest bedroom.

Have you stopped snoring as a result of weight loss? I'm really really hoping that's the case for me!

Replies

• patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I wish it would stop but it hasn't. It would be nice not to have bruising from my wife punching me in the middle of the night
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have sleep apnea and it has gotten a lot better since I've lost weight. It's not totally gone but my hope is that by the time I go back to the doctor in January, I'll be able to get rid of the CPAP entirely. Then maybe my husband will choose to go off night shift. ha! (j/k)
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    My husband used to snore so bad I would spend half of each night on the couch. It stopped completely when he cut out dairy.
    You might try it for a week- see if it helps.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Snoring can be a right pain for the snorer and the victims of the sound.

Mine was not an easy answer to the problem because my problem stemmed from my mucus membranes. I do not know where to start. There are many reasons for nasal congestion/ swelling, salicylate reactions and low thyroid for two, allergy to one or both strains of house dust mites for another. Feeling no better with the antihistamine tablets I was given for perennial rhinitis I gave them up. Subsequent experience led me to assume were full of maize starch which is moderate on the salicylate scale. Discovering salicylate and restricting my intake was enough and enabled my nose to return to nearer normal, and I no longer suffer from bronchitis either.

Of recent times I acquired more radical reactions to salicylate, and have been seeking help to cope with my life restricting chemical, environmental and food salicylate problems, the only thing which showed up in the blood tests was an under functioning thyroid. Having started treatment my nose, respiratory system is clear as a bell and my breathing is much deeper too this was a benefit I had not expected. Before anyone say it, I know we are all different.

Avoiding salicylate, is not for the faint hearted, it is not only in the humble aspirin but also in herbs, spices many fruits and veg because it is a mechanism used by many plants to protect themselves from moulds and mildews.
  • Dichotomy1976
    Dichotomy1976 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I only snore when I'm very overweight and have stopped since I began losing weight back in January, so it might work for you. Think a friend of mine has also stopped snoring (or at least isn't as bad) since he dropped some weight. If your snoring only started when you gained weight then I guess there is a good chance you will stop if you lose weight.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I have never been a snorer but thanks to counseling for anxiety combined with weight loss, I no longer grind my teeth at night. For me that is a huge plus.