Outlander - Starz newest series

Options
melduf
melduf Posts: 468 Member
Did anyone watch the premier of Outlander? Had you read the books prior? What did you think?

As for me, I just loved it! I have a hard time with the scottish and british accent since English is not my first language. But they stayed close to the book. Can't wait for more!!! :love:

Replies

• TLwineguzzler
    TLwineguzzler Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I'm in the UK where its not been shown, which is pants being as most of it is set in Scotland!! Just have to hope we get it eventually! I've read all the books and currently in the middle of the latest one.
  • Blufae
    Blufae Posts: 21
    Options
    I haven't watched it yet, but I absolutely loved the books:)
  • ChasingMyBliss
    ChasingMyBliss Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I love the books... probably my favorite series of all time. I am not sure I want to watch the show, as it might ruin the characters for me.
  • mehhhlife
    mehhhlife Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm actually really impressed with how the show premiere went. I absolutely love the books (currently re-reading the Fiery Cross) and am really excited to see the second episode. It is bull that the UK doesn't have a premiere date yet.
  • Ashkea76
    Ashkea76 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    Love the books, haven't seen the show (we don't have Starz)

And actually, an MFP friend recommended the books to me!
  • Chalk_Slinger
    Chalk_Slinger Posts: 1,012
    Options
    Is it chick lit or fantasy or historical fiction or all three? I am curious about it and see it has quite a following.
  • TLwineguzzler
    TLwineguzzler Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Its time travel/historical fiction, not too chick-litty - if it was I wouldn't be reading it!!
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Is it chick lit or fantasy or historical fiction or all three? I am curious about it and see it has quite a following.

Absolutely no chick lit!!! The first book got out about 20 years ago. I guess you could say it influenced a lot of writers who are popular right now.

It was a big hit among the military who went to Afghanistan, because they would choose the biggest book at the airport souvenir shop. They would read it on the plane and call their family once they got there to beg them to send the rest!!

Here, if you want a few reviews : http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10964.Outlander
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I avoided the books for years because I was afraid it would be too much of a "romance" story for me.

564d3deea8dfab983a9c5b1e896ccdb6.jpg

Boy, was I wrong. Yes, there is bits about love and sex and all that good stuff, but overall, it's more of an adventure series than a romance. If the books had been written by a man and the main POV character wasn't a woman, people wouldn't say it's a romance. It's just a damn good story.
  • LesliemarieAZ
    LesliemarieAZ Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I saw this mornign that Starz has already picked up the show for a second season which would follow book 2 of the series :happy:
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I've read the first book and it was good. I just recently saw the first episode and want to see more.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Just saw the second episode and I am hooked. I reserved judgement after the first because I knew it would all be set up but the second starts getting into the characters and the meat of the story. I have read the first four books and enjoyed them thoroughly but dropped it when I couldn't get into the fifth book.

And no, it is not a bodice ripper chick series, it really is a great historical fiction story with lots of fights and bloodshed and witch burning, etc. (although at least one bodice does get ripped, but not out of lust)