Blisters & Shoes

Options
So, I started running again a few months ago. But before I started this new lifestyle - I bought new shoes. (I tried pair after pair, with and without my orthopedic insole, at a great running store) I have been running/walking in them for about 2 months (on the street sidewalks, if that matters).
Up until 2 weeks ago, everything was great. My niece came down for a visit and we went walking, hiking, walking, all weekend. Great exercise! But the first day we went for a walk around the big town lake (3.5 miles) and I started to get blisters on not one but both of my feet (back of the heel, Achilles tendon area). After a week of not running and not wearing anything but flip flops to help them heal, I started going for my run/walk around the lakes again on Sunday. But yesterday, that same area started getting irritated.
Is there something I can do to stretch out the back heel of my shoes, or somehow protect this area of my foot. Why after months of wearing these shoes, is this happening?

Replies

• goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Not sure why they've only started to happen now. Maybe your feet are sweating, or you're tying your shoelaces either tighter or more loosely? Have you tried anti-blister socks? They have two layers so that it reduces friction. Some people tape their feet as well.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Since I run sockless, if I feel a rub with a new pair of shoes, I take a pair of pliers and really work over that part of the shoe to eliminate any "hot" spots. However, I am not sure why broken in shoes would suddenly start doing that to you. If you run sockless, you may need to tighten your shoes a little to eliminate heel slip, combined with working over the back of your shoe until it softens.

If you don't mind socks, Balega makes some great ultra-thin running socks that comfortably cover that part of your foot. I have a pair of Innov8 shoes that still rub me raw even after 400 miles in them... so I finally broke down got pair of Balega socks to use for those shoes and its all good....
  • Kim24S
    Kim24S Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks! I will definitely try those ideas!
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Do you wear ankle socks?
  • jenny3008
    jenny3008 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    when you go round the lake is the ground uneven or is it as flat as the pavement, or I guess that's a sidewalk to you guys.
    It could be that your foot is moving differently inside the shoe on the different ground which causes friction in a different (new) area.

I have huge problems with my feet blistering, apparently is down to my hypermobility however I use blister plasters, generally the brand Compeed, as I have found they are the best.

I know that technically they are supposed to be for when you already have a blister but I use them before to ensure I don't get the blister. Literally the entire ball of my foot blisters after about a mile of walking.

I also only wear good socks, generally ones fitted for left and right feet, I have two pairs of anti-blister socks but to be honest I don't find they help. In general socks which are one just a basic shape with no support seem to make the problem worse for me.

Hope you find a solution
  • StartsWithYou
    Options
    My hubby gets major blisters when he runs despite wearing the specialized socks. He finds using the Body Glide on his feet has really helped to reduce and sometimes omit blisters all together.
  • Kim24S
    Options
    I normally wear the 'no show' socks. But last night I found my old ankle socks, which helped, but by mile 2 the bottom of my foot was incredibly sore (I'm guessing because the socks are a thin layer on the bottom, but double layer around the ankle). The trail is pretty much a straight, even leveled pavement. There are a few spots that are down/up hill or slanted but that's it.

I guess this weekend, I need to find some good anti blister ankle socks or some other types of alternatives.

I did try working the back of my shoes too, trying to work the hot spots out as suggested, and that did seem better as well.

Hopefully I'll find some sort of solution. Thanks for your ideas!
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Good ole fashioned bandaids are my lifesaver. This kept happening to me a couple months ago. I just kept having to double up on bandaids. Also, if you get pedicures, make sure they dont shave off any hardened blisters. Its best to keep that area a little tougher so that the next run wont have new tender skin exposed.
  • Kim24S
    Options
    I do get pedicures every 4-5 ish months. I never thought about that. But my pedi from 2 weeks ago was after the blisters started showing up.

I've used bandaids, but I can still feel the irritation. I applied New Skin, to help help and protect my old blisters from a few weeks ago, but I was feeling the irritation start again on Monday.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    What size are your shoes in comparison with your other shoes? Running shoes should be a half size larger to give your feet room to swell a bit while running.

I also find running socks helpful. They stay in place, seem to wick up some sweat and are very comfortable.