Are ab workouts worth it?

Options
Ok, so of course we all want some rock solid abs right? And actually most of us probably have them.. Even if they are hidden under a couple layers of fat..

I was recently thinking about this. I have completed two rounds of P90X, before just starting my 3rd last week. During the first two rounds, I barely did ab ribber x. One because I was lazy and made excuses, two because I know if you don't have less than 15% body fat, you'll never see em anyway. So, now on my 3rd round, I am committed to doing them every time the program calls for it. However I am just curious as to what the added benefit will really be?

I understand that a better core will help in a lot of areas in my life. So no argument there. I also understand it'll burn some more calories in my workouts, again no argument. But will I even see a difference in my stomach? I am probably around 22% bf I believe. My scale could be way off. None the less I know I'm not anywhere around the 10% that is needed for abs. So will the workouts really make a difference or not?

I am just curious. My understanding is you cannot 'spot' target to lose weight, so that it won't make a difference if I do ab workouts, its just about losing body fat on a good diet and exercise plan. Or is there more to the whole thing that I am missing?

Thanks for any thoughts. -Chris.

Replies

• orange_avocado
    Options
    I've wondered the same thing. I almost never do pure ab workouts (even though my gym offers them) because I don't see the point. I don't have a low enough body fat to see results, and I feel like my core gets strengthened through other workouts.

Can anyone shed some insight on whether they're worth it?
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    I'm curious, too.....
  • hadl0032
    hadl0032 Posts: 117
    Options
    Bump.
  • Manda1987
    Options
    I am far from having anywhere near a 15% body fat ratio, but even I see results after an ab workout.

Case in point: I did an ab workout a few weeks ago. OVERNIGHT I lost 5 cm in the waist. I find it tightens me up and makes me shrink a little even if you can't see rock-hard abs.
  • Spudnuts
    Options
    I'm finishing up my second round of P90X myself (on my last week). I am a 34 year old woman and I've lost about 7% body fat since starting (started at about 30% and am now at about 23%) and put on A LOT of muscle. I am definitely seeing a HUGE difference in everything, but feel like I have a long way to go yet. My thinking is this: no, I cannot completely see my super ripped abs just yet, but once I DO get my body fat down to the proper level...tada! They'll be there to be seen. I'm about to try the two months of Insanity next week to see if I can burn off the rest of the garbage that way. In my opinion, it's absolutely worth it because eventually the muscles will show better and the feeling I get from being able to do the workouts is like nothing else! But that's just my thinking.
  • Jourdan_Rystrom
    Jourdan_Rystrom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It definitely lengthens your core and tightens it. I do Pilates a lot (which is a super-core workout) and I stand a bit taller and can see a 6-pack coming along! Obviously you have to diet too and not eat a lot of sodium, because that will retain the water weight around your midsection.
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    hmmm...great question
  • akickboxer
    Options
    i think it does matter, every bit of calories burned adds up. so even if its only 30 cals burned per ab session after 10 sessions thats 300 cals, and thats closer to showing them off. hope that helps. good luck!
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    I almost never do pure ab workouts (even though my gym offers them) because I don't see the point. I don't have a low enough body fat to see results, and I feel like my core gets strengthened through other workouts.

I agree with you completely. So many exercises engage the abs in some way. Sprinting/Squatting/et cetera.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    You are right that you cannot spot reduce when it comes to fat loss. To see full-blown washboard abs, men have to be around 10% body fat, and women have to be around 15%. All the crunches in the world won't get you anywhere if you aren't changing your body composition through diet. My friend likes to say "Abs are made in the gym but revealed in the kitchen."

This does not mean you shouldn't do any ab exercises. As you pointed out, there are benefits to having strong abdominal muscles, even if they aren't clearly visible.

Here is some info from the American Council on Exercise regarding the myth of spot reduction, particularly in the abdominal region: http://www.acefitness.org/fitnessqanda/fitnessqanda_display.aspx?itemid=341
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I almost never do pure ab workouts (even though my gym offers them) because I don't see the point. I don't have a low enough body fat to see results, and I feel like my core gets strengthened through other workouts.

I agree with you completely. So many exercises engage the abs in some way. Sprinting/Squatting/et cetera.

I agree with this. Crunches, sit ups etc are a bit old hat now. You work your abs more doing other exercises like push ups and squats.

But if you're following the P9OX workouts then perhaps you should just do the whole thing and stop being lazy!! :laugh: :wink:
  • Uptopargolf
    Options

I agree with this. Crunches, sit ups etc are a bit old hat now. You work your abs more doing other exercises like push ups and squats.

But if you're following the P9OX workouts then perhaps you should just do the whole thing and stop being lazy!! :laugh: :wink:

Agreed. Its sad that it took me to my 3RD ROUND to stop being so lazy! I probably could of had that damn 6 pack by now if I did it the first two rounds also!

Oh well, I will let everyone know how it goes and we can truly see if there is much of a difference between doing them and not doing them.
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    To burn fat you need build muscle. So if you want to burn the fat on your stomach, you need to START to build muscle. Even if someone is 200 pounds, to burn the fat you need muscle. SO yes, do the ab workouts.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Plank over crunches anyday
  • USCEE77
    Options
    Sounds like you've built a strong core, but you must get lean if you want to see your abs. 10% BF is a very ambitious target, go for it, you'll know it when you see it. Good genes are a plus!
  • Allison9
    Options
    I read this and was curios to.. So I tried to look it up and this is the article I found. I think it sounds about right where your body fat % should be so that you can finally reveal your abs : )

http://www.bodybuildingsecrets.com/articles/whats_the_required_bodyfat_to_see_your_abs.php
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    If you want a weak, easily injured body, and long for a future of back issues, then feel free to skip core work altogether. Strong abs are like a back brace you wear all the time. They also allow you to work harder and lift more in almost every single exercise you can use.

As for the possibility of getting a 6-pack, it's as real as you're willing to make it. To me, having a 6-pack is about 5th on the list of benefits for core work.
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    If you want a weak, easily injured body, and long for a future of back issues, then feel free to skip core work altogether. Strong abs are like a back brace you wear all the time. They also allow you to work harder and lift more in almost every single exercise you can use.

As for the possibility of getting a 6-pack, it's as real as you're willing to make it. To me, having a 6-pack is about 5th on the list of benefits for core work.

I'm a big golfer. So I know the importance of a good core. No doubt. I guess the reason I get frustrated is because I know I need to lower my body fat to see them, but I can see changes in my arms and chest, etc.. more easily. Thus keeping me more motivated. I just need to change my thinking about it.
  • wendywasj
    Options
    I have a long way to go before I will 'see' any ab results, but I am a mom and am around small children a lot. With the constant bending and lifting of wiggly children, I find a huge advantage in my ab workouts. My back is very grateful that I do them regularly :)
  • MrOutfit
    Options

Couldn't have said it better myself. Strengthing the ab muscle also massages the internal organs, haven't you ever had the urge to use the bathroom after an ab workout? Low body fat is the only way to ever see your abs but why not keep your abs strong until you see them ;).