How did calorie intake change with weight loss?

Options
Hi there!
I'm new to MFP, not new to weight loss journey. About 10 years ago I lost 70 pounds on Weight Watchers. Over the years, gained about 30 of it back after having a few kids and working a sedentary job. I'm hoping to lose at least 30 and keep it off, while reprogramming myself to lead a healthier lifestyle (diet and exercise). I tried Weight Watchers a few times in the past couple of years with little success (since they changed their program - it doesn't seem to work well for me).
I'm also T1 diabetic (Type 1 - auto-immune disease, not to be confused with T2 which can but doesn't always come as a result of poor lifestyle choices and obesity). It is well-controlled and just an FYI for overall picture.
I'm fairly new to calorie counting, and my program is set up for 1,200 calories a day. However after reading these threads I'm wondering if it's too low. I have been eating most of my exercise calories back so far and plan to continue to do that.
I weigh 206 and would like to get down to 175 (to start) and see how I feel there.
But my bigger question is, for those who have lost 30+ pounds and started MFP around my weight, what calorie intake did you start with and how did you progress? (I'm assuming you don't stay on 1,200 calories forever!) Did you up your calories as your weight got lower? I'm curious about how the program works in the long-term.
Thanks!

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I actually eat more calories now than I did when I first started. If memory serves (this was 3+ years ago), I got around 1300 calories plus I eat calories burned (per my Polar HRM, not MFP) back. Now I have my goal set at 1450 calories per day based on my goal BMR, plus eat back calories per my HRM or a good estimate based on experiene.

I know very little about T1 diabetes so I won't comment on that. If you need support about it, make sure you talk to a medical professional and be wary of any advice you get online.

1200 sounds like it's likely too low for you, although eating back exercise calories helps. You may want to consider editing your goal. Be careful with eating back calories per MFP (or even cadio machines) as they tend to be overestimates. Start out with about 2/3rds and see if that works for you.

The closer you get to goal weight, the lower your calorie deficit should be. Here's a good guide:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Good luck!
  • AshleyCraig54
    AshleyCraig54 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
    Very helpful!
    (Also, not concerned about the T1, just adding that in for overall info or to perhaps meet another T1 on this journey!)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    as you lose weigh, you require fewer calories to maintain weight. But you have to understand that 1200 calories is a deficit from your non-exercise maintenance calories...so of course you wouldn't eat that forever.

Your maintenance calories are going to be directly correlated to your stats (age, weight, etc) as well as your activity. My maintenance calories are actually greater than they were when I started for the simple fact that I'm more active. My non-exercise maintenance number, however, is smaller than it was 40 Lbs ago...

For example, when I was heavier I maintained my weight on roughly 2400 - 2500 calories without any exercise...being 40 Lbs lighter, my non-exercise maintenance is more like 2300 - 2400 calories...but with my regular exercise activity I pretty much consume around 2600 - 2800 calories and more.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I based my caloric intake on the body I would have at the end of the process, so there was minimal need to adjust targets along the way.
  • AshleyCraig54
    AshleyCraig54 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thanks!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much eaten 1600-1700 calories the whole time. The deficit just decreased as I lost weight, and I've increased my exercise as I went too (but it still burns about the same number of calories, just takes more effort).