First attempt at yoga today,,uugggg

Options
Well, I thought that I would try the yoga dvd that I had brought with me when we moved. We just did a big move out of country, so while I am still trying to learn the language and meet new people, I thought this is the best time to really focus on myself. My husband has his work, and I have quite a bit of time to myself so what better way to spend my time. We are planning a family trip in Dec to Jamaica, so that is my incentive to get myself in better shape. I brought a Jillian Michaels yoga dvd with me and popped it in this morning, all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I did my best to try to keep up, while my arms and legs were shaking and sweat was dripping off me, I realized yoga is hard!!!
I am going to do it again,,,and again until I can keep up with the level 1,,then on to level two.
Does anyone else do yoga??? Any tips, tricks,,advice???

Replies

• runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    It looks like you did Yoga for the 1st time. Yoga is a practice. It ain't an exercise.

And as for "yoga is hard" - anything is hard when we are new at it and until we get use to. The more you do the better you get at it.

My only advice/trick/tip would be to stay committed and keep practicing. You'll see the results and it will get easier.

Have Fun. Namaste.

ETA: I'm not familiar with Jillians Yoga DVD. Read below comment and realized. So my comments are for yoga caught in yoga studio.
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    In my opinion Jillian Yoga if you have never done it is hard I found she moves too fast through the basics. Go on Utube and look up Tara Stiles Beginner Yoga I think it will be beneficial to have the basics down first. She is great I do her 10min Range and Flexibility one every morning. Best to you :)
  • lisa_darlene9
    lisa_darlene9 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, I will look on youtube for that video :)
  • elv1ra
    elv1ra Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    jillian micheals scares me. shes the last person id want to teach me yoga.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I loooove yoga but I can't do it alone, I prefer going to classes. I also don't use it as a workout substitute. it's hard and I'm always sore but it's so....refreshing, I guess is the word. Love it.

However, had I youtubed some basics first I would have had a better time of it. I still have no idea what certain poses are and whatnot and that can affect the quality of my practice.
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I do hot yoga occasionally.
    Definitely make sure you understand the basics. Some positions with minor tweaks become a lot easier. Ex: downward dog - that's a resting position but some people have a really hard time with it when their arms and legs arent balanced.

I like yoga a lot though :) It takes time to learn to use certain muscles and the most important thing is the BREATH. Read up on breathing, it can help you power through a lot of poses and keep you going.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Would recommend finding a studio to go with your DVD. The instructor can help with your poses and can make suggestions to modify them if you need. I find yoga an excellent addition to my running routine, as it helps with my stretching and strengthens my core.
  • ChrissyC1985
    ChrissyC1985 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I absolutely adore yoga. i try and do a bit every day, I do a lot at home as i haven't been able to make it to a class lately but I am planning on re-starting classes as soon as i can and I find it's great for your mind as well as body, Remembering to breathe is sometimes difficult but always helps with the postures.

There are also many different types of yoga which you may find one suits you better than others.

Good luck on finding a method/teacher that suits you,
  • Strongandscrappy
    Strongandscrappy Posts: 1,735 Member
    Options
    I love yoga now but it took me a long time to learn how to quiet my mind. When I learned how to do that, it became easier. I have never taken a class but could see how that would be beneficial if it is possible because it's hard to know if you are doing the poses and movements correctly. I think it takes perseverance just like anything else to become good at it.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    jillian micheals scares me. shes the last person id want to teach me yoga.
    Me too. And I'd bet money she has no training in teaching yoga.