Need some protein

Options
What are some suggestions for adding protein into my diet aside from beans and/or protein powders? I'm consistently under my protein goal and am not sure what I can add that would be low in calories, but high in protein.

Replies

• dawnmitchell6766
    dawnmitchell6766 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I like hard boiled eggs, string cheese and thin sliced sandwich meat (5 slices = 2oz). Those are my go-to's on days I am cutting way back on carbs and eating more protein.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    are you vegetarian?

if not then meat, eggs, fish. i also like think thin bars .. 20 g of protein and 200-250 calories. the brownie crunch is good
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Eggs or egg whites? I make a delicious, filling omelette with egg whites, bell peppers, onions, spinach, and a little light shredded cheese. Under 200 calories, and 25+ g protein.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    peanut butter, any lean meat including fish, greek yogurt, eggs
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Meat
    -chicken
    -pork
    -beef
    -lamb
    -venison
    -various other game animals
    Jerky
    Greek yogurt - preferrably plain & 2% but 0% is just fine. Flavored is an option as well
    Cheese
    Tuna in a can
    Seafood (lobster is pretty low cal, same with shrimp)
    Quest bars
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Uh...meat?

I find that tuna is a good bang for your buck if you're looking for something high protein and low calorie.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Chicken
    Turkey
    Steak
    Ground turkey
    Ground beef
    Salmon
    Tilapia
    Tuna
    Lobster
    Shrimp
    Eggs
    Greek yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    Spinach
    Broccoli
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Nut butters
    Beef jerky
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    My go to for a little extra are hard boiled egg whites ( I don't like yolks), Ostrich sticks, turkey jerky and those little Tuna to Go cups. Those are just for quick snacks though.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Skinless boneless chicken breast, 4 oz; 21 to 29 g protein
    Cod fish, 1 filet 6 oz; 41g
    low-fat 2% cottage cheese 8 oz; 28g
    London Broil 3 oz portion; 31 g
    Tuna, 3 oz can 2 oz drained; 14 g

All of these are less expensive per unit of protein than whey protein powder
    And they taste better.

And what FatFreeFrolic said.
  • reunionmarci
    reunionmarci Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love a lunch of greek yogurt (dannon has an 80 cal vanilla non fat 5.3 oz with low sugar and 12g protein) then add your own fruit...half cup of fresh. Add half cup of lo fat cottage with chopped veggies and you have a lunch with 24g of protein. Check out soybeams too. A little higher in calories but great protein.
  • Justamom410
    Justamom410 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone...no, I'm not vegetarian. I do eat meat...but have a hard time eating it at breakfast and lunch. I do eat at least 2 hard boiled eggs a day...one with breakfast, the other on my salad at lunch. I usually have a meat at dinner, but I guess with my lack of protein early in the day, I can't eat my goal in one sitting.

I like jerky for a snack, and love nuts (almonds, peanuts, pistachios) but find I'm still not hitting that goal. I'm averaging about 30-45g of protein a day only. MFP has me at 90g based on my sedentary job, current weight (250lbs for a 5'7" female) and goal (losing 1lb per week). That just seems like a ton to have to eat!
  • Sharonmdenham
    Sharonmdenham Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Tuna and it is high in protein too.