Navigating office politics and snack food

Options
I'm currently doing temp work, having taken paid exit from a job I'd been in for years earlier in the year... been working in the same office but my hours are hit and miss, but that's okay for now.

But the SNACKS! D:D:

I'm constantly being offered coffee, tea, home-baked brownies, cakes, biscuits...

I can say no to an extent, but being as I'm angling for something permanent, I really don't want to come across as snobby or stand-off-ish... I can't say no to everything, especially home-baked stuff. It's a nightmare! Not to mention, if people know you're having a rough day, they're more likely to offer sweet stuff out of sympathy.... and I'm more likely to say 'yes please!' Not to mention that thing when a Crunchie or a cherry bakewell (major weakness!!) randomly anonymously appears on your desk after a tough customer!

Not to mention that I do tend to do my own home-baking as a means of making friends/leaving an impression where I need to.

I'm not looking for a tirade about how food-based or sugar-centric our society is. I'm aware and I'm okay with that. Food is delicious and as humans we like to share pleasurable experiences where possible. But if anyone has any tips for how to at least cut back a bit without coming across as rude, please let me know because it's really bugging me today!

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    "no thank you"

i get offered stuff all the time, just smile and politely decline, they wont think your rude.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It is ok to consume these kind of things from time to time...so you don't have to say no all of the time...balance out your yesses and your nos.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    just say no thanks- you're already covered for food.
    or no thanks- I'm not hungry.
    no thanks I brought my own snack.

there are a million ways to say no thank you- but they all begin or just end with "no thank you"
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Just say 'no thanks.' I work in an office where there's constantly food around, and after a little while they won't ask you anymore.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Just say 'no thanks.' I work in an office where there's constantly food around, and after a little while they won't ask you anymore.

This is what I do. I haven't said "yes" to snacks/desserts/random sweet stuff at the office for a couple of years and no one bothers me about it any more and neither are they offended by my refusal.

It all comes down to how to say it IMO. You don't need to justify why you are refusing (that's your business), but I always say no with a kind and friendly smile and a pleasant demeanor.

Accepting is just something I don't choose to do any more. If I want a home-baked goodie, I make my own (which are much better, of course!).
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I say "no thank you" quite a bit, and there is always this ONE PERSON (it's the same person every time) that asks if I'm on a diet, or jokes about me not needing to resist foods, etc.

One time I flat-out, without smiling, told him that I didn't feel it was necessary for me to divulge personal information about my eating habits.

I said it nicely, but it definitely got the point across. He hasn't talked about food to me since.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I worked as a temp most of last year for a major company. They had luncheons at least twice a month and office birthday parties all the time.

I had to learn to either fit it in, OR...take what was offered and pretend to eat it and then toss it out when no one was looking.
    (wasteful, but wasting junk food doesn't seem all that bad.)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I don't say no to everything. But I am much pickier than I used to be.

Chick-Fil-A breakfast biscuits? No.
    Glazed donuts? No.
    Substandard cupcakes? No.
    See's dark chocolates after I ate a salad & tuna for lunch? Yes...but I'll take 1 per day for 5 days, not 5.
    Banana bread when I just ate a big breakfast? No.
    Random Halloween candy? No.
    Strawberry rhubarb pie with fresh fruit from my coworker's garden? Yes please, I can work that into my calories for the day even if it means 3 oz broiled catfish and roasted radishes for dinner.

That's how I operate and it works for me.

Fortunately at my current office there are honestly not a lot of treats or dinners etc. When there IS an office lunch, though, I find it important to be a part of that. In the past someone who was in my position kept a very strict diet and refused to attend work related meals and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it really affected the view of her as a poor team player. I go along and no one cares if make my lunch from a chunk of pulled pork and some veggies while they're piling on ribs and BBQ beans and dinner rolls...the important thing is that I attend. We all have to make our own calls with this stuff, though.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I say "no thank you" quite a bit, and there is always this ONE PERSON (it's the same person every time) that asks if I'm on a diet, or jokes about me not needing to resist foods, etc.

One time I flat-out, without smiling, told him that I didn't feel it was necessary for me to divulge personal information about my eating habits.

I said it nicely, but it definitely got the point across. He hasn't talked about food to me since.

Good response! I believe in "NO" is a full sentence. The key is say, "No thank you." and stop talking. Period. (In your case here, I agree a further response was a good idea.) In general, though, if you stop talking they have nothing else to go on. They can ask other questions, but I feel no need to respond. Or, just change the subject.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I don't say no to everything. But I am much pickier than I used to be.

Chick-Fil-A breakfast biscuits? No.
    Glazed donuts? No.
    Substandard cupcakes? No.
    See's dark chocolates after I ate a salad & tuna for lunch? Yes...but I'll take 1 per day for 5 days, not 5.
    Banana bread when I just ate a big breakfast? No.
    Random Halloween candy? No.
    Strawberry rhubarb pie with fresh fruit from my coworker's garden? Yes please, I can work that into my calories for the day even if it means 3 oz broiled catfish and roasted radishes for dinner.

That's how I operate and it works for me.

Fortunately at my current office there are honestly not a lot of treats or dinners etc. When there IS an office lunch, though, I find it important to be a part of that. In the past someone who was in my position kept a very strict diet and refused to attend work related meals and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it really affected the view of her as a poor team player. I go along and no one cares if make my lunch from a chunk of pulled pork and some veggies while they're piling on ribs and BBQ beans and dinner rolls...the important thing is that I attend. We all have to make our own calls with this stuff, though.

Sorry, the cupcakes one made me snicker. I have that rule now too. It has to practically be gourmet or I feel like I'm just eating a so-so cupcake for nothing.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    We have pitch ins and snacks all the time. Everyone knows that I love fitness. Mostly I pass em up, unless it's a splurge day.

If it's a pitch in I will make low calorie recipes and bring them in. After I tell people it's low cal, it motivates some.
  • poohbear1958
    poohbear1958 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Our office is always loaded up with biscuits, cakes, sweets and the like but I have no problem with it. Admittedly not having a sweet tooth helps but even when savouries are available I say no and stick to no :smile:
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    "no thank you"

i get offered stuff all the time, just smile and politely decline, they wont think your rude.

in principle, i agree with you, but in reality not every one is so mature.

probably no one is SO immature that refusing something they baked/cooked would really effect how they view you as an employee, but you simply never know.

i can remember one time when i was first highered... i declined a piece of carrot cake only later to find out that the woman who offered it to me, the director of the office, also made it.

i instanly regretted it lol. but maybe its just that fact that I was (and the OP is) new that made us a bit self conscious.
  • SuperVixen2B
    SuperVixen2B Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I always make sure to coo about how thoughtful it was of them, like "OHHH my goodness, that's so sweet of you, thank you! ...but no, I'm good".

Never had a problem with that approach - they always seem happy that I recognize their effort, even if I don't taste it.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    You can tell people you're allergic to things but this can come back to bite you. If you tell them you're allergic to nuts someone might make something "just for you" and it would be even more rude to turn that down. Also if they ever catch you near your "allergy" food they will freak out.

Sometimes honesty is best. Just say you're watching what you eat and you have a special treat at home so you can't partake in any of their goodies today, but maybe next time.
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    "That is very thoughtful. Thank you so much." This does not mean you have accepted the offer. You are just thankful for the thought. If they continue to press it, say "Maybe in a little while." If they continue to press it, then they are just jacking with you to see if they can break you. That's when you say, "I think I'll pass. But thanks."

It takes discipline then a little more discipline. Then just when you think you have it beat, you have to give it a little more discipline. :)
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    As far as wanting to share treats you made, go for it if you want. I often make sweets I don't even like and bring them into work. I like baking and my co-workers like eating. I don't have to eat it just because I made it.
  • SuperVixen2B
    SuperVixen2B Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You can tell people you're allergic to things but this can come back to bite you. If you tell them you're allergic to nuts someone might make something "just for you" and it would be even more rude to turn that down. Also if they ever catch you near your "allergy" food they will freak out.

Sometimes honesty is best. Just say you're watching what you eat and you have a special treat at home so you can't partake in any of their goodies today, but maybe next time.

My husband once told a pushy baking co-worker, "I'm allergic to cake...I eat it and I get fat".
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    "no thank you"

The smile is important here!
    You can do it. Eating their snacks does not affect your job worthiness. And as long as you're nice about the refusal, they likely won't mind.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I have gotten in the habit of declining office birthday treats. If I'm craving something sweet I'll have a few dark chocolate M&Ms or a mini candy bar. We always have snack stuff on hand, but we also have fresh fruit and granola bars (that I pick out because I do the ordering :bigsmile:) If we have a pitch in lunch for the holidays I'll always bring something and I indulge a little, but I will eat more veggies and salads, a decent serving of meat and small tastings of pastas and potatoes and casseroles.

ETA: my "no thank you" around here always goes over well. Nobody says anything, and if they would happen to I wouldn't care b/c it's not their choice whether I eat or not and I would flat out tell them that