Migraines from Diet Soda?

Options
I know a lot of people are avoiding diet soda for a plethora of reasons. I was wondering if there has been any documentation discussing that diet soda's can cause migraines? Last year, I had Giant's generic diet raspberry soda and had an ice-cream like headache for at least a week afterwards. Now I had Sierra Mist's Diet Cranberry and have had a reoccuring migraine for a week. I actually was so ill this morning, that I was near tears and had to phone in a sick day because I was heaving and dizzy on top of it. Finally, after four prescription Imitrex migrain pills, I'm able to at least eat and keep food down. I just hope the migraine doesn't return once the pills wear off. Has anyone else had this problem? I've significantly cut back on my diet soda consumption, but after being so ill I'm thinking of avoiding it altogether!:-/

Thanks,
Shannon

Replies

• chickadee2010
    chickadee2010 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    If you can, just stop drinking soda altogether. It helps so much. I stopped getting headaches and I felt so much better. Trust me, it's great not drinking it in the long run. Just drink juice, water, tea, koolaid (stuff like that).
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Migraines are not uncommon food allergy reactions. It might be anything inside the diet soda. If you can I would also suggest not having any soda for a while. Stick to water, juice, tea and coffee. See if it helps.

Good Luck. I know how much the suck.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I get Killer Migraines from soda!!!!
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    it's the aspertame. I get migraines if i consume too much diet soda or even crystal light... google aspertame and read up on all the studies :) you could be sensitive to it.
  • blessedmomof8
    blessedmomof8 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have not been able to have diet soda or diet anything since I was in grade school. Aspartame can do weird things. The aspartame in sugar free (diet) products literally puts air bubbles in my body, and I am not saying in my digestive system, but outside of it. And somehow causing me to get rid of any food I ate. I have no idea how it happens, but the doctor proved it to us with x-rays. I know that is not your problem, but I have no problem believing it can cause migraines.
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    If you think any particular item you consume is giving you a migraine or a migraine-type headache, then it would be a good idea to cut whatever it is out of your diet. It doesn't matter if that item is artificial or natural. Our subconscious/intuition can often make the link between a particular item we consume and a particular reaction far quicker than any other method.

After you have been off the item for a period of time (maybe 3-6 months), you can do a confirmation and consume that item again and see if it triggers a migraine... I wouldn't ever take this extra step, I would just go with my gut and not consume whatever it is.
  • patio1313
    patio1313 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have almost totally cut soda from my diet (I have an occasional Diet Root Beer or Diet Pepsi as a treat). I have never had headaches but I am sure that there are some nasty chemicals in diet soda that could do that to a person...I try to just stick to water and coffee
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    P.S. Drink lots of water right now, until you are sure the headaches have subsided. This will keep you hydrated as well as help flush your body out.
  • trubeauty
    Options
    I too would get headaches from drinking diet soda! I now only drink soda that is made with real sugar or Fruit Juice (Think Izzie, Mexican Coke-or any drink from Mexico as they do not believe in High Fructose Corn Syrup). Hard to find, more expensive, but tastes great and no headaches!.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    it's the aspertame. I get migraines if i consume too much diet soda or even crystal light... google aspertame and read up on all the studies :) you could be sensitive to it.

So true! I have the same problem- any time I drink a diet soda, consume Crystal Light, or even low calorie hot chocolate, on comes the migraine. I try to stay away from ANY soda, rather it be diet or not. I usually only drink water and unsweet tea.

Then again, I'm also drinking a Coke Zero right now...for the caffeine...sigh...
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    it has been documented, theres this really scary documentary on hulu about aspertame..
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have pretty much cut soda out of my diet. If there's none in the house, I'll go days without drinking it. When my fiance buys cans of coke zero I try to either have none or 1 day max. I don't always get headaches, but the longer I go without, the better I feel. On the flip side though, sometimes I need the caffeine to get rid of the migraine. It's weird and I don't get it. I am still trying to figure out my triggers. I'm pretty sure that really sugary foods trigger my migraines, so I stay away from them. Sometimes I'll forget and eat a doughnut or something and I'll instantly feel like crap and be in bed the rest of the day. Totally not worth it.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    it has been documented, theres this really scary documentary on hulu about aspertame..

I know exactly what you are talking about- it IS scary! Eek!
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    It could be a number of reasons. Like said above, a reaction to certain chemicals, or actually being allergic to something in the diet soda. However you'll probably never find out the exact reason.

Diet sodas contains so many chemicals that, narrowing it down would be near impossible. I had a anatomy professor in college who once told us that Diet coke and something like 200 difference types of chemicals. (don't quote me on that.. I was only kind of paying attention).

But none the less. The stuff is very dangerous.
  • brookeybaby_00
    brookeybaby_00 Posts: 142 Member
    Options

I am exactly the same way. Can't drink anything diet that isn't made with Splenda.
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Artificial sugars (including splenda) are known triggers for some people who suffer from migraines. I get them from all artificial sugars, including splenda (which is some times very sneaky and labelled as "sucralose" on ingredient lists.

It is everywhere in "low" calorie type foods, so I avoid it like the plague because of the deathly pains it gives my head.

I use stevia to sweeten my tea, etc instead as it is all natural and 0 calories. (I do not use truvia, though)
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Wow! I never realized that migraines from diet products was so pervasive! The Imitrex is starting to wear off and I can feel the migraine coming back. I hope I don't need another sick day tomorrow... I'm going to take an Excederine Migraine to see if that will hold off its return, at least for a little while... The doctor said it was okay to mix the two. I'm definately NOT consuming soda for quite a while, if EVER. God, I've been SO sick all day! If anyone has that Hulu link, I'd be curious to watch it...

Shannon
  • orthpole
    orthpole Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hope you feel better tomorrow.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    In one of my classes my professor said that some people are allergic to the chemical Phenylalanine in diet sodas. He said that these people can die from just drinking one because they do not have a secure wall between the blood and the brain. Normal people can drink it because it doesn't cross our blood brain barrier. I am wondering if you could be allergic to the chemical. I don't know of anyone who is, but I have also never heard of anyone getting migraines from it.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    The headache finally went away. I'm planning on staying away from soda for a while. I might make it a special treat, but I just can't handle the migraines I get with it. I have to be able to function! It's awful hard to teach a room full of students and keep an eye on what they're doing if you feel ill!:-P

Shannon