PB&J that does not need to be refrigerated?

Options
Hello,

Does anyone know of any PB&J brands that do not need to be refrigerated? I'm going to Burning Man in a few weeks, and I need to make a meal plan that is vegan, doesn't 'need to be refrigerated, doesn't take up much space, and creates minimal waste lol. I was thinking non stop PB&J's.I usually eat all organic, but I'm sure if something doesn't need to be kept cool then it will be full of preservatives.

Let me know if anyone has any ideas for this or other meals I could potentially make

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well bread doesn't need to be refrigerated... PB neither... Jam can stay perfectly fine at room temperature for weeks... I don't see the problem here.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the organic part. You can make your own peanut butter and jam.
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Well, I buy organic peanut butter and jelly, and it needs to be refrigerated. Which is why I'm asking about brands which do not need to be kept cool.. and if there are any with minimal preservatives and other yucky stuff :) If there isn't, then that's ok too
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Bring raisins, peanut butter, and bread. The raisins will work in place of the jam and they keep.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    How about peanut butter and bananas? Jellies and jams will get moldy without refrigeration (or at least a cooler), esp. in hot weather.

I've seen plenty of organic peanut butter that doesn't need refrigeration, including the store-ground kind. Teddie, which isn't organic but are just peanuts and a bit of salt, definitely doesn't; it's sitting on my kitchen shelf right now.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Jif natural PB doesn't need to be kept in the fridge, and it only has 5 ingredients. (Ingredients: made from peanuts, sugar, palm oil, and 2% or less of salt and molasses. Link: http://insustainabilityandinhealth.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/jif-natural.jpg)

Smuckers makes a Simply Fruit jam/jelly. It has a couple of ingredients: fruit syrup, the fruit of choice, lemon juice concentrate, fruit pectin, and natural flavors. They also have an organic line of jams/jellies, which may be more what you're looking for.

I agree with PP who suggested to take bananas for a PB and banana sandwich. You can also make sandwiches with sliced apples. A drizzle of honey on either is quite tasty too.
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Some great sugestions so far :)

Unfortunately, bananas will not keep very long out int he desert. 1 day drive and 5 days in the desert.

I'm thinking of making banana chips though :)
  • Empty_Calories
    Empty_Calories Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Check out Justin's nut butters. Peanut, Almond, etc. all organic and all good. Personally, the Honey Peanut Butter is my regular favorite but I've pretty much had them all (including the chocolate hazelnut, yum).
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I don't think banana chips would be too great.

I'd go with other dried fruit that isn't hard and crunchy. Raisins were a good suggestion, though I'd prefer apricots, cherries, prunes, that sort of thing. You could also bring fresh fruit if you pick long-lasting ones like apples.

The Justin's nut butters are a good suggestion. You can buy them in single serving packets, so they're easy to pack. You can do the same with Artisana nut butters and probably others.
  • mathmatt
    mathmatt Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a Whole Foods, or are there any places around you that you can get fresh ground peanut butter? Fresh ground keeps on the counter for over a week and doesn't even separate. If you can find some place that sells home made jam/preserves, I don't think that would go bad in a week's time. If you don't end up finding anything you could always get those individual squeeze packs of packets of peanut butter/jelly.

If you want some ideas for foods other than just PB&J, check out some vegan backpacking sites. I like this one https://meggieandben.wordpress.com/category/vegan-backpacking-meals/

P.S.
    I'm super jealous. I've been wanting to go to burning man for years but I don't have enough time off work.