"Lifting"

Options
Im a beginner currently doing P90.

i am using resistance bands on my strength training days. would i likely have better results using free weights or should the resistance bands suffice.

i want to lose weight but want to increase my muscle mass at the same time...

Replies

• rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Some lifting is better than no lifting.

When I did p90x, I supplemented it with heavy free weight lifting sessions, 2 evenings a week.

To be fair to the program, I didn't have a lot of free weights at home or a pull up bar, so I couldn't necessarily get the max benefits of what they were doing.....but I think adding the heavy lifting sessions made a huge difference.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Free weights, by far. I used both. Nothing, absolutely nothing, compares to free weights. If you want to build a decent amount of muscle mass, invest in a barbell, a couple dumbbells, and some weight plates. They are worth the cost.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    resistance bands are better than nothing plus it's going to depend on what you have access to.

i personally prefer free weights which means gym is in order since i dont have the space in my studio for a squat rack, weights, etc.

if you dont have access to weights then maybe check out bodyweight strength training programs/books like you are your gym and convict conditioning
  • derik999
    derik999 Posts: 73
    Options
    For building strength you are going to ultimately get better results with free weights. Then there are hybrid exercises which use both free weights and resistance bands, though those aren't beginner exercises.