Help Needed

Options
Hi everyone, I've been steadily losing weight with the help of MFP and got down to about 106.5lbs. I am 5' 5.5" so this makes me underweight technically. However, I feel pretty good at this weight. I've been exercising daily and eating a healthy 1500-1700 calories a day. Yesterday I went beserk and ate around 5000 calories in one sitting and didn't workout. I feel completely defeated and like I've gained all that weight back overnight. I'm so frustrated that I just want to binge eat again to numb the pain. Today I got up and ran 10 miles but I don't think I've even begun to undo the damage from yesterday. Do I eat normal today or no?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You may have gained a little water weight from your high calorie day, but in the long run a single day won't undo all of your hard work. I'm always leery about trying to correct for days like that because I don't want to set up disordered eating habits for myself. My advice would be to just get back to your normal routine.
  • Stacey33ky
    Options
    You certainly didn't undo all of your work...everyone slips up try and not beat yourself up about it...
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Holy unhealthy thinking, Batman.
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Eat normal. Eating the 5000 calories isn't going to undo all your hardwork, even if you hadn't gone for a run. But you did go for a run. I'm a little concerned that you're underweight and reacting so strongly to a one-time binge. But if you dealt with binge eating in the past, I can understand your worry. Now that you're at your happy weight, your goals are different. It's not about losing weight anymore so much as it is maintaining your weight, which are two totally different things and require two different mindsets. I think you're still in weight loss mind which is where some of this panic is coming from. Get used to the fact that maintaining means having a happy range because your weight will continue to fluctuate day by day. Having a range will make moments like this easier to handle without your blowing it up out of proportion, which will keep you from the binge-regret-binge cycle.
  • dockofdebey
    dockofdebey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Look at the opposite....one day of exercise and dieting doesn't make you healthy and skinny, so one day of binging will not make you fat and unhealthy.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Look at the opposite....one day of exercise and dieting doesn't make you healthy and skinny, so one day of binging will not make you fat and unhealthy.
    So true! Very logical, yet we tend to forget to think this way. Good advice!
  • parrillr
    parrillr Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support everyone. I just got back on track the next day and feel pretty good. Weighed myself today and am down almost 2 pounds. Maybe I needed the binge to stimulate my metabolism! Who knows!