Weird side pain when jog.

So I have started to jog and everything has been going great for past few weeks. Last night I started to jog and about 2 minutes in I had a pretty sharp pain in my side kind of near the bottom of my ribs on left side. I tried to keep going but hurt pretty bad so I had to stop jogging. I was able to still ride an elliptical machine fine though for 30 minutes. I don't really hurt today but tried to jog a bit again this morning and was hurting again. I tried to look up stuff like this and sounds like a side stitch? Anyone that thinks it is this or could be something different and have any ideas on what to do to prevent it from happening but allow me to jog?

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Side stitches. It's a pretty common issue. I occasionally get a mild version of this and I just try concentrating on breathing deep breaths and that seems to help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side_stitch
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    So I have started to jog and everything has been going great for past few weeks. Last night I started to jog and about 2 minutes in I had a pretty sharp pain in my side kind of near the bottom of my ribs on left side. I tried to keep going but hurt pretty bad so I had to stop jogging. I was able to still ride an elliptical machine fine though for 30 minutes. I don't really hurt today but tried to jog a bit again this morning and was hurting again. I tried to look up stuff like this and sounds like a side stitch? Anyone that thinks it is this or could be something different and have any ideas on what to do to prevent it from happening but allow me to jog?
    I haven't had too many side stitches but I have read a little about them. There are a few different things that can cause them. Here's a good article: http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/four-ways-stop-dreaded-side-stitch
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Breathing always helps for me! Deep breaths and slowing my pace down
  • I've gone through this. It cam be a combination of a lot of things.

1: Breathing: try breathing through your nose and out your mouth slowly and controlled. Try three steps in and three steps out.
    2: Eating & Drinking: Try to not eat or drink anything at least 2 hours before you run/jog. You can sip some water maybe 30 minutes before the run but not a lot and some during the run but again not a lot. Also try to eat foods like oatmeal, (good carbs) and proteins. No high fatty foods.

Hope this helps!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    My daughter's XC coach has told her if she gets one to take deeper (longer) breaths and exhale when landing on the opposite foot from the stitch. Works every time.
  • Thanks all for the replies glad to know not something serious and a problem I should be able to fix.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    My daughter's XC coach has told her if she gets one to take deeper (longer) breaths and exhale when landing on the opposite foot from the stitch. Works every time.

Edited to add - another friend who is a big runner told her to lean slightly forward and that will stop the spasm of the diaphragm. .
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    I've gotten these. I just breathe really deeply a few times and the stitch goes away on its own.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Side stitches are normal and happen all the time. Be careful in how you time your eating and excessive drinking as that can be a common cause. To fix the stitch without stopping your run, apply pressure to the stitch with a hand and breath deep for aboout 10-30 seconds, and it will quickly start to go away. Also, reassess your posture as this can also contribute to it.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member

Edited to add - another friend who is a big runner told her to lean slightly forward and that will stop the spasm of the diaphragm. .

Neat, I'm going to try that! (I get stitches a lot).

I also raise the arm on the same side as the stitch up to the sky and then gently knead the opposite hand into the stitch. I slow down, I breathe deep, I knead. Eventually it stops. But yeah, what a pain! (literally)
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Don't let hobo's stab you while you run?
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Make sure you are adequately hydrated and don't start out too fast.