Is it possible to be overweight and not have enought to eat?

Options
2»

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Yes. Absolutely true. If too many calories are cut out and don't feed the body the right nutrients or enough it will go into a starvation mode and store fatPlus...for ME it's hard because the right foods are much more expensive than the bad foods. .. when I went to my Dr. He made it easy to understand...Example. .it may take 3500 calories a day to sustain my 270 lbs...so if I take in 1500 calories and my body us burning up a day you lose weight. And like you both said junk food is empty calories and way way heavy in fat. So 400 calorie cookie is way different on our body than 400 calories of fresh veggies fruit & proteins
    So all those starving kids in Africa are obese and storing fat because they are not getting enough calories. That makes a heck of a lot of sense /sarcasm

Well, duh. You think those bellies are from worms or something?

Wow. Just wow.

096ed6_4574676.jpg

You're an adult and you believe everything you see on the internet. How sad!

ETA: How about you educate yourself... http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/9563.htm.
  • bonbons324
    Options
    Did you know it is possible to be overweight, even obese and still be malnourished?
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    because 2 dollars can buy you 750 calories worth of mcdoubles.

this^^^^
  • shutch2112
    shutch2112 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    "Those bellies" are filled with fluid, not fat... The "african" kids y'all are talking about suffer from kwashiorkor which is from not enough protein. Look it up!

Yup. they have eaten enough of their own muscles that their internal organs can't be held up in their stomach cavity anymore... :(
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Overweight people can never have enough to eat.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

Yeah. McDoubles also have fresh produce and meat in them so it seems better than ramen and easy mac. Just cause it's from MickeyD's don't mean it's bad
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    There was a recent article in a magazine about people who are going hungry, and can hardly feed their children. Almost every single picture had overweight or obese people in it. The article went on to say that these people are fat because although they don't have enough to eat, what they do have to eat is junk food, and junk food makes them fat. If it's just calories in vs. calories out, how is this possible. (not bashing people who don't have enough to eat, just found it odd)

I think it is very possibly for those that overeat to be malnourished because they are eating the cheapest things available - which are often full of sugar as it is a cheap product.

So while they are eating too many calories, they are not eating enough nutritious food or required nutrients. And eating sugary foods makes me feel hungry again within an hour so I can see how people would be going hungry.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I started to read the responses, but holy F people...

Okay..
    Without a link to the pictures you are referring to it's hard to really answer, but for a truly starving person it is not uncommon to have a large bloated stomach, but generally the arms and legs are very thin.
    I don't think that would be overweight.. more like malnourished.

This is a pretty simple version of it...

http://indianapublicmedia.org/amomentofscience/the-bloated-look-of-the-starving/

Again, if this is not what you're referring to- sorry for misinterpretation.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    years ago when i was briefly very broke, jack in the box had "the big deal". it was a burger, taco and fries for a buck. we lived on them for about a month, and put on significant amounts of weight.

to the person who said it's cheaper to buy healthy foods in bulk, people who can barely pay their rent often don't have the money to buy in bulk, or may not have proper cooking facilities.

and yes, people with malnutrition swell up. it has nothing to do with fat. years ago, i read an article written by i think sandra dee about her anorexia. she weight 79 pounds and suddenly swelled up and got much heavier due to fluid retention.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options

$2 is a heck of a lot more in calories than that if you buy beans or rice...