any "success" with Green tea

Options
I was told that Green tea is a good thing to add to a diet for losing weight because it increases your metabolism? (I am really sorry if this is incorrect)

just curious if it is actually true or not.

Replies

• honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Ultimately weight loss is calories in vs calories out.
    Green tea has been demonstrated to have a thermogenic effect - so a very mild increase in metabolism BUT it is so minimal and won't make a difference for most people.
  • Maqneta
    Maqneta Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Ultimately weight loss is calories in vs calories out.
    Green tea has been demonstrated to have a thermogenic effect - so a very mild increase in metabolism BUT it is so minimal and won't make a difference for most people.

:) thank you for the info!
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I do find that a hot cup of green tea helps me to not be so hungry. Other than that, I just drink it because it's good.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I've certainly been hearing that it works from a lot of people.

Reserving judgement.

You can certainly lose without it!
  • littledog16
    littledog16 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't know about helping your diet but I do know that it's got lots of anti-oxidants, so it's good for you in general! Also I usually drink it when I start getting bored of water or in the morning to replace my coffee
  • honey_tequila
    honey_tequila Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yes, but probably only because I replaced my full-fat milk and sugar laden coffees with green tea. At 3-4 cups a day I can't see getting a metabolism boost but I cut out hundreds and hundreds of calories by switching. Plus I feel better for it :)
  • wallelf1
    wallelf1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't like hot drinks, so I mix my matcha powder in applesauce and add a dash of cinnamon. It turns the applesauce very green and is visually a bit unappealing, but I can't really taste anything "off". I do notice I have a bit more energy during the middle part of the day, but that could just be a placebo effect. ~shrugs~ But, it certainly can't hurt.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    When I'm not really hungry, but I'm craving something sweet, mint green tea often does the trick! And you can make a big pot, put it in a pitcher in the fridge and drink it cold when it's hot outside.
  • Koofers
    Koofers Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I don't like hot drinks, so I mix my matcha powder in applesauce and add a dash of cinnamon. It turns the applesauce very green and is visually a bit unappealing, but I can't really taste anything "off". I do notice I have a bit more energy during the middle part of the day, but that could just be a placebo effect. ~shrugs~ But, it certainly can't hurt.

Where do you buy matcha powder? I've been looking for it whenever I go to the grocery store and I can't ever seem to find it!
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    It probably doesn't do much to help with weight loss. But it does taste nice, and is good for you. And if you don't take any sugar with it it's basically water with good stuff in it. So yeah green tea isn't bad in fact it is very good. Just don't expect it to work any miracles.
  • wallelf1
    wallelf1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Where do you buy matcha powder? I've been looking for it whenever I go to the grocery store and I can't ever seem to find it!

My husband bought it online, Amazon I think. Make sure it's pure organic Japanese matcha...there are lots of folks selling it. I'll ask him tomorrow. Health food stores may have it (we live in the sticks).
  • Rosepower
    Rosepower Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    make sure the Matcha is grown in the shade, is bright green in colour and is high quality
  • Koofers
    Koofers Posts: 56 Member
    Options

My husband bought it online, Amazon I think. Make sure it's pure organic Japanese matcha...there are lots of folks selling it. I'll ask him tomorrow. Health food stores may have it (we live in the sticks).

Ahh, of course, Amazon. I don't know why I didn't think to look there. I will look into that, thank you!
  • Rosepower
    Rosepower Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where abouts you live but in Canada I get my Matcha from www.mysteepedtea.com/rosehyland/
    Their Matcha is amazing!
  • drabbits3
    drabbits3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Whole Foods carries matcha powder too.