Struggling to eat 1200 Calories a day

Options
Hey all,
I'm having a really hard time "netting" 1200 calories a day after exercise. I've been eating extremely healthy the past month and have lost weight! Super excited about this, but I also want to make sure I keep it off in the long run.

I am comfortable eating around 1200 then with my workouts I usually net about 800. I know I should eat my calories back, but I'm having a hard time trying to find other foods to eat since I've been eating a lot of veggies and lean proteins (which I Love)

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for snack ideas to up my caloric intake everyday that are healthy. Thanks!

Replies

• manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I tend to treat myself to a glass or two of wine or a chocolate bar.

You could try upping your portion sizes.

1200 is actually pretty low for most people, so if you're concerned about keeping it off- you may want to evaluate if that's right for you. Different numbers work for different people.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    1200 seems really low for someone with 100lb weight loss goal who is exercising regularly. You want to make sure you are eating enough food, especially protein, so you retain lean body mass (muscle) and lose fat.

You can increase calories by increasing portion sizes and adding calorie dense foods into you diet. Are you weighing foods and measuring liquids, including condiments?
  • SamLD88
    SamLD88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You might consider investing in an activity tracker like the JawboneUP (I have this one) or the Fitbit. It would help you get a better idea of daily calorie burn even with exercise, so if MFP is overestimating your burn, you might not really *need* to eat back the 800 cals of exercise.
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    Options
    Try adding some PB2 to yogurt - get a little more protein and calories without having to stuff yourself. Also, I don't know if you've ever seen it, but Justin's Almond Butter is amazing stuff. I've tried it on rosemary cranberry crackers and on apple slices and it is equally as good. (Makes an amazing 'PBJ', too.) What about fruit? I always try to have some fruit before bed. Keeps me from feeling hungry in the middle of the night for some reason. Find what works for you. Add some friends with open diaries. You can send me a FR if you like - mine is open to friends.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for snack ideas to up my caloric intake everyday that are healthy. Thanks!
    I think the best snack suggestion is to think about what you ate before this diet and what you really miss from that, and add some back in moderation. 1200 is 'easy' at first, then it can get really hard if you're not allowing yourself any wine, chocolate, nuts, pizza, or whatever it was that was a favorite food before.

Is there a restaurant you like? Have a dinner out. You don't have to hit your goal dead-on every day, just do so on average. If you were 400 under yesterday, you can be 400 over today and it's the same thing to your body, pretty much.

Good luck!
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    1200 was easy for me when I was fine with eating the plainest salad every day but now I want to eat all the things and it's much harder. I had a bunch extra tonight so I had 2 servings of mozzarella and more avocado than I usually allow. And I get a really gross made in Brooklyn gluten free chocolate bar.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that anyone who is finding trouble eating 1200 calories a day should probably look at the accuracy of their calorie counting. 1200 calories is not a lot of food, even if you eat zero processed food. Are you weighing all your food on a scale or estimating portion sizes? Are you using things like cups or tablespoons to measure solid food (they are meant for liquid only)? Do you do cheat days or meals? Are you good at logging everything or do you often forget to track things? Do you eat out or have food you did not prepare/weigh yourself on a regular basis?

what he said. I did 1200 in the beginning but witht he harder workouts i do now its not nearly enough food.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Nuts, peanut butter, avocado, use olive oil, coconut oil, butter, full fat dairy, dark chocolate.....small portions pack in good cals. I often eat 1200 cals before dinner. :smile:
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    You didn't get fat struggling to eat 1200 calories a day.

Eating more calorie dense food does not mean it is bad food.

(Hint: there is no bad food)

This. Once in a while, even now, my breakfast can be 1200-1400 calories, so I'm not sure how you find that difficult to do. Food should not be the enemy.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Nonsense. I'm sure you netted at least 1200 calories before trying to lose weight. What did you eat then that you aren't eating now?
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    My GO TO snacks to add some cals:

an apple with peanut butter - adds a 200-300
    a potato with dinner - adds about 200-300
    a couple of pieces of chocolate - adds about 200
    a PB&J sandwich

I agree that 1200 net is very low for some people - especially younger folks.

Remember you can eat anything you want - just do it within your calorie count. This is a lifestyle. You are going to eat like this for the rest of your life.
  • lolly2414
    lolly2414 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Like a few others have said, peanut butter w/celery or apples, or just a tablespoon or two on a spoon is a fave of mine to get me near the calories I should be eating (in fact I just ate 2 tablespoons of pb to get me over 1200 calories tonight). Dark chocolate (Dove or York snack size) is another thing I will "cheat" with if I'm low on calories at the end of the day. Like you I'm eating mostly lean meats, veggies, and a serving or two of fruit per day and there are definitely days where I've eaten plenty but I'm struggling to break 1000 calories because of so many low calorie veggies or fruits. If I need to I cheat (although I'm eating no grains except a little corn so I don't eat anything with wheat, oats, rice, etc even if I'm cheating) and eat some lower fat ice cream or frozen yogurt or cheese. Dairy food in general is an easy way to add calories.
  • rachel_cherie22
    rachel_cherie22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    http://www.losebabyweight.com.au/weight-loss/body-mass-index/

BMR..

I eat 1569cals a day and lose between 0.5 - 1kg a week

5ft 4 and 72.5kg exercise 3x a week
  • BornxVillain
    BornxVillain Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Always remember, too quick of weight loss results in weight coming back on quicker than before due to an ill metabolism rate. Try your best to keep it up. Handful of nuts, piece of pretty chocolate - even some avocado and sour cream can add some well needed calories. I admire your ability to eat such a low caloric rate while still feeling great- I wish I could myself!
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I eat 700 cal for breakfast ... so honestly sunshine, I am not buying it. And I eat no junk .. none.

I agree with the person above, you are not doing yourself any favors eating so few calories. The only thing is that now with a lot to lose as per your ticker, you are probably fine for a while. But you are in for a big train wreck as you get closer to your goal and into maintenance.

It is not a good thing and you need to learn how to have good eating habits for the long term (or else the weight will just go back on). I think right now you are learning how to lose weight .. and somewhat starving yourself at the same time but there is more to it than losing weight.
  • ASH2038602
    ASH2038602 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been adding half a cup of black beans to my lunch to up my calories and protein. I have also added sweet potato to dinner. Hummus, yogurt, and peanut butter are good ways to up the calories some at snack time. And like others have suggested use a food scale if you aren't already. Chances are if you aren't hungry on 1200 calories that you are already eating more than you think.