5k Training.

Options
Hi there all!

I'm looking into training for 5ks next year and I was wondering what kind of regime/training everyone around here is doing. I know there is C25k, but are there any other ones that you would suggest?

Thank you!

Replies

• neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    That one seems to be the big one. Besides that, just start slow and worry about slowly increasing your distance. Worry about finishing when you first begin running. Your speed will improve the more running you do. Congrats, I'm sure you'll get there!
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I like the Runkeeper app (and website). It's got a bunch of free training programs on there (They've got paid ones too for when you advance) and have a variety of ones designed to help you prepare for a 5k. :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i did the zombies run 5k app. same idea as c25k, but there's a fun storyline
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I did the Zombies, Run! 5K training app. I'm now on to the real deal and loving it. It gets me motivated to get out and run. Ditto for their walking app, The Walk, which I do on my rest days from running.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hi there all!

I'm looking into training for 5ks next year and I was wondering what kind of regime/training everyone around here is doing. I know there is C25k, but are there any other ones that you would suggest?

Thank you!

The world we live in, people can't do anything without a program or app to tell them how to run, c25k does get good reviews though, personally i just ran until i was exhausted, and just kept repeating this simple but age old method, the best person to judge your own limits is yourself
  • bjderemer
    bjderemer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm using a plan by Hal Higdon. He is has several 5k plans on his website; walking, novice, intermediate and advanced. I'm in my second week with the novice and hope to move up after my first race to the intermediate plan. It is pretty basic, you run 3 days a week, and run/walk or whatever other activity you choose 3 other days and then a rest day. The first week you run 1.5 miles each time, however he says the plan is a "guide" and to adjust as needed. Lots of other info as well on his site, even if you don't use his plans.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Look into the Galloway method, works quite well
  • hangryrunner
    Options
    I've done the C25K programme a couple of times now and it works well. I'm actually following it again now as I haven't ran in months.
    I also like Runtastic and Runkeeper for logging runs too.