Fitness Challenges a Long-Distance Couple Can Do Together?

Options
My boyfriend and I are looking to both make changes to our diet and nutrition. He lives in Canada, which is only 30 minutes from my house, but because of the border traffic and our work schedules, we usually only see each other on weekends.

He doesn't need to lose any weight, but he is looking to build muscle and change his eating habits.

I need to lose weight and would also like to change my eating habits and build muscle tone.

I need ideas on things we can do "together" while we are apart. We want to do this together, and we'd be able to check in with each other regularly.

Can anyone think of any challenges or programs or anything we can do together? Any ideas and advice welcome!!

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You could work out the exact distance between you guys and "walk (or run) to eachother" - keep a track of the distance you walk/run whenever you do and celebrate in some way when you "meet" - it would be a good way of challenging yourselves to walk/run a little further and also would have a bit of a competitive edge to it...
  • my_2_cents
    my_2_cents Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Use a running app on your phone and you can send each other the maps of the route you run...of course most places within 30 minutes of the Canadian border that have heavy border traffic are likely not safe for you to run alone outside lol. I'm thinking Detroit and suburbs here....pretty much the rest of the border has no traffic.

For weight lifting, you could get a program like P90X or similar and do the workouts "together." If you really want to take it the extra step, setup webcams and video conference while you do the workout at the same time. That might be a bit much though.
  • BornxVillain
    BornxVillain Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I when we were long distance, went on runs together through facetime. It was actually hilarious seeing him get all sweaty and flustered, we both really enjoyed it and it motivated us. The laughs were enough to keep me going!
  • GalaxyBird
    GalaxyBird Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    These are some good ideas. We aren't much of runners, though, I have 2 bad knees and he has a bad ankle. We might try to work up to it when we are in a bit better shape.

Any other suggestions?