Rowing machine

Options
I have been using an in-home rowing machine for a about 6 weeks now. I just sat down one day and started doing it. I left it set on resistance of 6 because that was where it had been left and just went for it. I managed 10 minutes the first time and have worked my way up to 3550 meters in 20 minutes on 6. I am a 133 pound , 5'7'', 45 year old female with no health problems. What is a realistic short term and long term goal? I have no clue or anything to compare with other than the three 200lb+ guys who also use it.
I am really loving this as an alternative to my elliptical and walking or running, but don't want to under-do or worse yet, over-do.
Thanks!

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm loving the rower at the gym.

my trainer gave to something to work towards : lowering the strokes/meter to under 25, lowering the time to 500 meter split to under 2:15 and getting at least 10 m per stroke.

it's pretty hard for me and the closest thing i can compare it to is sprinting although instead of trying to go as fast as yoiu can, you're trying to use as much controlled and and concentrated as possible.

at the moment i can only get my stroke count to 28, split time to 2:25 and like 7 strokes per minute.

oh yeah i treat it like a sprint too since i can only do this for a minute before i need to stop.. so i've been doing that for a minute, rest for 30 seconds and so on until i can't anymore and then the rest of the 15 minutes (yeah i can spend 15 minutes on that thing for now :laugh: ) i just row no matter how inefficiently i'm doing it
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Everything the above poster , meshashesha... said was spot on. Make sure you have the correct form as well to get the most out of using it. I only say this because I cannot tell you how many times I've seen people get on a rower and just --- it's all wrong.

If you use your body the right way, a rowing machine will smash you.

Back in my college rowing days I'd shoot for lower stroke rates and lowering my 500meter split times. I'd go for what meshashesha said.

2014-02-07-RowingBasics.gif

If you're not sure, please feel free to message me and I'll break down the stroke for you.
  • getrealgirl
    getrealgirl Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Everything the above poster , meshashesha... said was spot on. Make sure you have the correct form as well to get the most out of using it. I only say this because I cannot tell you how many times I've seen people get on a rower and just --- it's all wrong.

If you use your body the right way, a rowing machine will smash you.

Back in my college rowing days I'd shoot for lower stroke rates and lowering my 500meter split times. I'd go for what meshashesha said.

2014-02-07-RowingBasics.gif

If you're not sure, please feel free to message me and I'll break down the stroke for you.
  • getrealgirl
    Options
    Thanks for the splits idea! I have the form down well. My husband is a wrestling and football coach and he is a stickler on form. He says I've got it! This video shows the exact same machine I have.
  • getrealgirl
    Options
    Crap...I never get the "QUOTING" correct. Sorry...