Work it out? Or take night off?

tamheath
tamheath Posts: 702 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I did Zumba Saturday for an hour, then Sunday for an hour and that class KICKS my butt! Was going to go again tonight but this afternoon my muscles are just achy all over. Nothing hurts: just achy muscles in the good kind of way! Just curious - those who are more knowledgeable about this, should I go to Zumba again and work through it, or do something light (Pilates at home?) Or take the night off? (And instead hit the hot tub after a glass of wine.) Oh, you have no idea how I want 5,000 people to write and say "Oh, you should DEFINITELY take the night off, hit the hot tub and have a glass of wine!" :drinker:

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    you should take the night off...give your muscles a break...a hot tub would be perfect! let the tissue heal itself and the have at 'er again tomorrow...or do something easy and deep breathing (thai chi, slow yoga)...but i'd go for the glass of red in the hottub
  • I did Zumba Saturday for an hour, then Sunday for an hour and that class KICKS my butt! Was going to go again tonight but this afternoon my muscles are just achy all over. Nothing hurts: just achy muscles in the good kind of way! Just curious - those who are more knowledgeable about this, should I go to Zumba again and work through it, or do something light (Pilates at home?) Or take the night off? (And instead hit the hot tub after a glass of wine.) Oh, you have no idea how I want 5,000 people to write and say "Oh, you should DEFINITELY take the night off, hit the hot tub and have a glass of wine!" :drinker:

I would work out, but thats just me.. If you feel a night off take it. Or doing something a bit easier like you said, pilates perhaps.

Either way, one night won't kill you.

Hehe, I know this probably didn't help at all. How bad do you want it?
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    I think you've worked out very hard the last two days and there is nothing wrong with a day of rest. As long as your retreat stays a retreat and not a guilt trip. :)

Enjoy the tub and wine!
  • Of course you should take it off! You worked hard on the weekend. If you are achy, you need to rest. My muscles are achy today too but I think I'm coming down with tthe flu or something :(
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    I wouldn't take the night off but that's just me :)
    I would do something lighter at home. Depending on which of my muscles were the achiest. If my legs ached, I'd do an upper body routine, if it were the other way around and my upper body ached, id do a lower body routine. I always find that once i take a day off, it's harder for me to get started again (but again, could just be me)
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    I'd go to Zumba. Working sore muscles is good for them. Helps keep them from getting stiff. You'll feel better afterward. I always do.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    No night off. I wouldn't go to Zumba though either. You need to mix it up to see maximum results. Do some strength training!
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Oh, you should DEFINITELY take the night off, hit the hot tub and have a glass of wine! :drinker: (Did I get it right?)

I would probably work out, though - just me :wink:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    work it out. I was having a bad day today, went to work it out... had a bad workout, but at least I don't feel worse about not going.
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    I'm gonna pull a dirty trick here....

"I am ALWAYS putting on, then trying to take off that 10 pounds. Time to put an end to that."

Work out, then soak in the hot tub and feel twice as good cuz you earned it :)
  • DrumlineGirl
    DrumlineGirl Posts: 178 Member
    It depends on what your goals are, especially how often you want to work out. My goal is to work out 5 days a week, with 2 off days. Some people like to work out everyday, some 3 days, etc. Rest days are great for me (I try to have one during the week, and one on the weekend) because it not only gives my muscles a chance to repair (otherwise you could get injured), and it gives you a little break for renewed energy the next time.

To me, it seems worthless to only do a work out halfway because you're in pain. It's better to take the day off and go at it strong the next day. Just like with weight lifting. You should never do upper body two days in a row, or lower body. You need a break, even if it just means working different muscles in between the workouts.
  • tamheath
    Love all the different opinions! Will advise later what I do! :flowerforyou:
  • Just keep in mind, that while working out would be great. If your muscles are seriously sore, you do not want to workout with them. Zumba tends to work the same types of muscles groups over and over. Even tho it would be consider cardio. The muscles are doing a bunch of work. You never want to work muscles that are sore, because you increase the risk of getting hurt.

I think deep down you know what you want to do!
  • tamheath
    I'm gonna pull a dirty trick here....

"I am ALWAYS putting on, then trying to take off that 10 pounds. Time to put an end to that."

Work out, then soak in the hot tub and feel twice as good cuz you earned it :)

Oh, Jessica, you bad girl!! :sad:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    I usually take a night off if I feel tired/lethargic. It's not just achy muscles that cause that, but exhaustion. Listen to your body, only you can tell if you're skiving or really need to relax :bigsmile:
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    I just know that I've used the "I'm too sore" reason for not working out as an excuse because I just really didn't want to go. That's me though. I have to be careful because I have a history of making excuses and that's what got me where I am today.
  • HRgoldenlife
    HRgoldenlife Posts: 53 Member
    I did a cardio workout 3 days in a row and my muscles were sore. Last night, I didn't want to workout since I was sore but I pushed through it and did a walking dvd instead.

So, I would switch to something lighter that may not use those muscles in the same way.
  • tamheath
    I think I found a great compromise! I went home and did Biggest Loser's Power Sculpt for 30 mins. Was perfect. Zumba is great cardio, but it felt really good to just do strength training tonight. So I felt much better for having done something that my body actually needed! Now after I get a few chores done, may hit the hot tub with that glass of vino.:drinker: Thanks all - I enjoy the conversation and reading everyone's outlooks. Very helpful.:love:
This discussion has been closed.