Starting out with weights

Options
I know there's probably a million other posts like this, so sorry! I recently joined my local gym (by local i mean 25 miles away but the petrol is totally worth it!) and was wondering if anyone could recommend what weights/ how heavy/ how many reps I do. I've been going about three/ four times a week for the past month and have just found myself doing about 30 mins cardio before going on those fancy machines for 30/ 45 minutes....however I read somewhere that those machines aren't half as effective as freeweights..but when it comes to freeweights I'm completely lost! So thanks for any replies in advance :)

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals.

Do you have weight to lose or are you looking to gain muscle/weight?

Personally, I work in the strength (1-6) and the hypertrophy (6-12) rep ranges.

'Heavy' (for strength) is what's heavy for YOU :)

ETA: the thing that helped me most, when starting out, was 'starting strength' by mark rippetoe.
    Other good beginner programmes are, strong curves, Stronglifts 5x5 and NROLFW is a good read.
  • mikevandewetering
    mikevandewetering Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goal, but i you want to achief a ''fit body'' i would stay in the 6-15 rep range and do compound movements.
    So freeweights for sure, mostly compound movements. It needs to be heavy for you not easy or it won't have any effect no matter what rep range you pick. You need to struggle to hit the last rep of your set while maintaining good form. Your sets are often between the 3-5 sets per exercise. Also start youtubing the correct form of compound movements and let a trainer check your form for atleast a few weeks.

So the main compound movements are:
    - Squat
    - Barbel row
    - Bench press
    - Deadlift
    - Overhead press
    I also recommend to not forget Pull ups (can be done with help if needed)
  • derik999
    derik999 Posts: 73
    Options
    This topic is subject to a million different opinions but I'd say try picking weights that give you a challenge with 8 reps, so you struggle somewhat to get that final rep finished. It will condition you and then you can decide ultimately what your goals are. Whether it is strength or endurance.

There are an endless number of rep/set combinations out there for different goals. If you are just starting out I'd start with 2 sets per exercise, use compound movements as suggested and let your body adapt.

Avoid machines for the most part as they are not only inferior to free weights but some of them force your body to go through a movement pattern that is unnatural.
  • mojojorox
    mojojorox Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) goal is to lose weight (only about 1.5 stone though) and tone up whilst doing so, hence the need to add weights!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) goal is to lose weight (only about 1.5 stone though) and tone up whilst doing so, hence the need to add weights!

Lifting weights help maintain muscle while losing fat, toning doesn't happen, it's not a verb in relation to muscle...

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/articles/muscle-tone.aspx

If you want to get into heavy lifting find a well used established program such as NROLFW or Stronglifts or Starting strength.

If you prefer bodyweight exercises try convict conditioning or you are your own gym.