HIIT Training on the Treadmill - 14 Minute Workout

SweetPandora
SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
HIIT = High Intensity Interval Training

Anyone into it?

I started about two weeks ago and love/hate it!

Here is the program my boyfriend put together for me:

walk - 1 minute - 4 km
run - 1:30 minutes - 8 km
walk - 1:30 minutes - 4 km
sprint - 1minute - 13.5 km
walk - 2 minutes - 4 km
sprint - 1 minute - 13.5 km
walk - 2 minutes - 4 km
sprint - 1 minute - 13.5 km
walk - 2 minutes - 4 km

14 minutes total and stretch and complete!

Leaves me feeling like I want to throw up but what an intense circuit. But what a way to push your body to it's limit.

Also helps with increasing your V02 Max rate.

Karen

Replies

• tim_fitbuilt4life
    tim_fitbuilt4life Posts: 301 Member
    Good stuff. I incorporate Tabata HIIT into my P90X routines for faster results. I love it. :smile:
  • I do 30 min of HIIT based on my heart rate

warm up to 117
    sprint until I hit 166 (I try not to go above 175)
    walk until I get back to 117

rinse and repeat

I love it!
  • I am on a dr program and he has me doing HIIT.
    Do it on my treadmill too. 30-45 min. and I am done.
    Warm up. Sprint. SLow down. Sprint. Doing 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 min. sprints.
    YES it works I feel and I am tired when I get done.
    I have lost 52 lbs since july.
    THink it helps.
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    I just started doing this in the past month. One day a week I push myself as far as I can go, one day as long, one day as fast and then HIIT. How many days a week do you do this? :o)
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    I have always used HIIT on the treadmill, it's the only way I like to workout on my treadmill...keeps me from getting bored. Sometimes I switch up my walking by walking sideways or backwards on the treadmill. That usually throws me for a loop and I've just finished a pretty intense workout!
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Bump
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Intervals are simply a great way to do more work in a set time-limited session. Rather than jogging at a set pace for a set time, you can do shurt bursts of sprints in between, to whatever intensity you wish.

Most of the time you take a set ratio that you push through your intervals on and any combination is possible so long as you push yourself.

I trained a Professional Hockey player a few years ago and HIIT was a huge part of that since a game on the ice is always interval based. As a Goalie myself, I'll go from 90% to 50% HR at any time in the game so I'm always running intervals to condition for whatever the game will bring.

The higher intensity does serve to stretch the an-aerobic threshold which varies from person to person but on average is around 85% Max HR. It's at this level where the body cannot process oxygen fast enough, so pushing that limit is essential for athletics in high intensity sports that require short bursts (Hockey, Football and Soccer to name a few).

My one suggestion would be to not get locked into a set-pace as your body will adapt to that over time. Instead, vary the time ratios that you sustain each level for so that you're pushing yourself to do as much work as possible in the Higher Intensity Intervals.

Cheers!
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Nice to see how people incorporate it into their workouts.

I started two weeks ago and aim for 3 - 4 times a week in addition to my regular workouts.

The program that I am doing is my beginner program. As I improve and advance I will aim for 5 sprint intervals and increasing my speed as well.

Karen
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Interval training is, in my opinion, invaluable for fitness.

Such a good measure too, because as you get fitter, you notice you can start to breeze through the sessions and when that happens, you know you need to up it a bit.

I run on my treadmill between three and four times per week, one sesson is usually a longer, steady run for stamina, another session will be interval training and I vary it everytime, the other sessions, I will usually do what I feel I want to do at the time.

I've never got bored with treadmill training doing it this way, however, if I were to just do long, steady runs every single time, to be honest, I might have given it all up by now.

Boredom - bane of our lives :laugh:
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    I'm just now researching this. Interested in fitting it into my workouts. Not sure how when I'm kinda strapped to home workouts or jogging with a stroller and a 50 lb child in it.

Ideas?

Katie
This discussion has been closed.