Remind me that nobody cares...

Options
So I have decided to start boxing twice a week. We start off with about 15mins of skipping, which to be honest I find very difficult, then stretching and then hitting stuff.

There are three women (including me) that go, the rest are all beautifully toned and fit men.

They are all lovely, I've not had any funny looks or got the impression that any of them care about anything other than being better at boxing and to be honest I find it a much kinder environment than the cold reality of the gym! Its also cheaper, £4 a session or £3 if you buy membership.

Nobody cares that I am a UK size 18 and 16.8 stone do they?

Tell me it doesn't matter.

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Of course it doesn't matter. My daughter is a boxer (and UK size 16).

Boxing training is HARD!! - I went once, years ago - it nearly killed me :laugh: Great calorie burn and if you enjoy it then that fantastic.

ETA: the only problem you'd have, if you stay at the same weight is if you decide to compete - my daughter wants to get back to 69kg as the girls in the 75kg class would destroy her in the ring!
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Oh I am definitely going to lose weight, I am losing weight, at around 1.5kg a week.

Haven't even thought about competing! I think it will be close to Christmas time when I even think about all that.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Wow thats a really good price. Definately not in London I bet otherwise I would go too.
    And to answer you question no body cares so go in and enjoy. I used to go spinning and there were all sizes there, you are concentrating so hard on keeping up you havent got time to worry about what the rest are doing.
  • art_is_ink
    art_is_ink Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Good for you and stick with it! You're right! Nobody cares about what size you are and as your goals come to light, those people might even note it out loud and give you positive remarks on your success. They'll be your support and champions, not your critics. You've got this and I wish you all the best. :)
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Nobody cares, and even if they did you shouldn't!
  • Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Actually, you are probably receiving some silent respect for getting in there and putting in work! I hope you are enjoying the eye candy while you get your fitness on :D
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I agree with the two posts above...nobody really cares, almost everyone who thinks anything will think you are awesome and if anyone thinks anything else they are a douche and you should not care! I know when I see anyone overweight kicking butt and working hard I admire them as I know physically and emotionally it is harder for them than me so they freaking deserve my respect.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    i love boxing - it's on my wii and called My Fitness Trainer Cardio

I know its not the same
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    So I have decided to start boxing twice a week. We start off with about 15mins of skipping, which to be honest I find very difficult, then stretching and then hitting stuff.

There are three women (including me) that go, the rest are all beautifully toned and fit men.

They are all lovely, I've not had any funny looks or got the impression that any of them care about anything other than being better at boxing and to be honest I find it a much kinder environment than the cold reality of the gym! Its also cheaper, £4 a session or £3 if you buy membership.

Nobody cares that I am a UK size 18 and 16.8 stone do they?

Tell me it doesn't matter.
    They either care not a whit about your current size and perceived fitness level, or think it's wonderful that you're making a positive choice to be fit with an activity that you (hopefully) enjoy. If neither of the preceding is true, think nothing more of the oafs.

"Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter."
  • Michifan
    Michifan Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The level that nobody cares about anything other than themselves is pretty significant.

Typically when someone does actually "care" about another, it is in a compassionate way. At least if they are an adult - we'll leave kids out of this conversation.

Have fun - feel good - and remember that when you judge others less, you'll feel less judged.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    they don't care.

But- while we are here: let's just think this out.

what if they do care? Seriously? what if- in the WORST way possible they are judging you that you show up ever time to class???

what does that mean for you- to you and how does it affect your work out?

The answer is: it doesn't.

So- if they care- if they don't care- you pay for the gym/the class- you show up- and do you're work. Fu*k all else what anyone else things... which in reality is- they don't. so don't' worry about it :)
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Seriously, no one cares and if they did then they are most likely giving you props bc it means you are working that much harder than them to keep up bc of it.

Even the most aesthetically fit people see their own self imposed flaws exponentially larger than those around them.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Actually, you are probably receiving some silent respect for getting in there and putting in work! I hope you are enjoying the eye candy while you get your fitness on :D

Eye candy? I can't think what you are talking about... *attempts to whistle with tongue hitting the floor*