Bread question

Options
what is better regular white bread or a crosissant... jw because i like both but don't know which on is better

Replies

• Bluediesel
    Options
    Neither one is great for you. Stay away from anything white. Try eating a whole wheat tortilla,whole wheat pita bread if you must have bread. Unless your burning over 1,000 calories or more per day stay away from white bread.
  • dzdame
    dzdame Posts: 89
    Options
    I am sorry to say that neither is good for you...The croissants do TASTE much better than white bread, though...Have you tried whole wheat bread or at least, whole grain? They have so much flavor and texture...I don't like eat white bread, except maybe a nice crusty french bread dipped in olive oil (but only once in awhile)...
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Your question has been answered......neither is good for you. I have found that avoiding any white flour/sugar item will increase your capacity to lose weight and seek a healthier lifestyle. That said, can you give up white bread AND croissants? Hoping you can!
  • txmomma0889
    txmomma0889 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    thanks guys i am going to try to do wheat from now on and all
  • lfafnis
    lfafnis Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Try my new favorite instead. Sara Lee Whole Grain, only has 45 calories per slice and it is chockful of whole grains. Plus it is super soft and completely delicious. I used to only eat white breads and since starting to eat whole grains I have found white bread to be quite bland. My hubby agrees it's the best bread we've ever eaten. You will love it.
  • Niveous
    Niveous Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Read the ingredients labels on the bread you buy too. Most breads that either advertise whole grain or wheat, actually aren't either. The first ingredient should be whole grain flour, whole wheat flour, etc. Avoid breads that have enriched, bleached, or refined flour. Here's a pretty good post about how to choose bread, and you can find similar articles if you just search for them: http://www.dietriffic.com/2008/11/14/choose-healthy-bread/
  • jadelite15
    Options
    bread is bad period ! But Natures Own makes a 35 calorie count bread. I fount it at Walmart , but other grocerie stores may sell it. it costs pennies more than a regular loaf. and it tastes great :-)
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    A croissant IS MADE OF white bread. So the answer is neither. I've started eating Natures Own Honey Wheat.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    thanks guys i am going to try to do wheat from now on and all

Make sure to check the ingredients. You want to see 'whole wheat flour'. Not enriched wheat flour. And try to find bread without HFCS. I like Nature's own 100% whole wheat bread.

One slice:
    50 calories; 1g fat; 115mg sodium; 10g Carb; 2g fiber; 1g sugar; 4g protein. And no HFCS.

I like all the grain breads but this one is nice when you want a softer - and smaller - bread slice.

Here's a fact about Subway bread: their wheat bread isn't wheat bread. It's mostly white bread that has had ammonium sulfate added to turn the bread a nice pretty brown.
  • kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Natures Own Honey Wheat Bagels are GREAT!!!!!! and the sara lee honey wheat bread with 45cal is great also. The Sara Lee bread will say it on the top of the loaf. You dont need to go reading the back or anything it will say it right on top. Just dont want you to get the Reg Sara Lee Honey Wheat and it not be 45 cals.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    To not repeat the above, if you really can't stand whole wheat try Wonder Smart or Wonder Plus. They have the nutritional content of whole-wheat but disguised as white.

Personally they seem too good to be true, there is probably processed/unprocessed (whatever one is bad for you) flour in there but still, it's an improvement.

And PS, the croissant has much more fat than white bread if those are your only choices.