Need help getting in my calories....

Options
Hi everyone....I am just not getting enough calories...I only get 58 proteins a day and I went over for the first time today...was a -20 but still under 1200 calories....supposed to be at 1500 a day (w/o exercise)....can't seem to find a good balance....need some suggestions for higher calorie, lower protein foods to stay within my limits. Anybody have any suggestions? Also...is it bad to have gone over on my proteins by 20?

Replies

• autumnater
    autumnater Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Sorry...I meant 65 Proteins a day!
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    It's not bad to go over...it all depends on what your settings are for your MFP.

Bear in mind, the site is best used as a guide, not a bible...so you needn't stress about every single calorie for the most part.

Making healthy choices is a lifestyle change that comes with educating yourself as to what's best for you and what your goals are.

There are lots of things you can eat to increase calories however. It a;; depends on your preferences.

How many times a day are you eating? If you're shooting for 1500 Calories, try thinking of that as 250 calories, 6 times a day.

In that sense you can have smaller portions while keeping your metabolism high throughout your day.

Cheers.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    protein is definitely set low on here. I go over on protein every day, practically.

Add some healthy fats if you're struggling with hitting enough calories, like avocado, olive oil, peanut butter, nuts, etc.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Almonds are a good way to go about it. I buy a Dan-D-Pak bag of them each week and break them into 1/4 cup bags which is the equivalent of 207 calories. Be sure to buy natural, not roasted, salted, et cetera. Peanuts in the shell are supposed to be a good idea too because people eat far less of them when they have to shell them.

As for protein the general rule of thumb is not to have less than 0.8g per kg of bodyweight, 1g is about standard, 1.5 for endurance athletes and some lifters will go as far as 2 or more. For the average individual 1g is fine. Divide your bodyweight by 2.2 and you get your kg's.
  • addman72
    addman72 Posts: 220
    Options
    Im the same , I struggle to reach the daily goals and then with my exercise I'm well under. I think this is hurting my weight loss as i think the body is storing it all ( for a rainy day )

I eat 3 meals plus 2 lots of snacks a day. I usually have Chicken in 2 of the meals for the protein.

I know this is an American based site but has anybody had Kangaroo meat? I know a PT who swears by this and highly recommends it , I'm just not brave enough to give it a go.
  • MaggieGiamalvo
    MaggieGiamalvo Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Autumn,

How do you feel after eating the things that you are currently eating? Are you full or still hungry? That would help me with making suggestions.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Start the day with a BIG breakfast! Eggs/Egg white omelet with laughing cow light cheese - you can do in the microwave if you need to. Check www.hungry-girl.com and search for egg mugs (you can do with whole eggs if you want). Oatmeal, almonds, almond/peanut butter on a Lundberg brown rice cake, chicken or turkey breafast sausage links, yogurt, even pancakes with Bisquick Heart Smart and egg beaters. Not all of this at once - just some ideas.

Grill up some chicken breasts on the weekends and package individually. Great on salads for lunch. Fish has lots of protein and good fats too.

Good luck!
  • gunnparker
    Options
    You sound like an Aussie, so give the roo a go, Coles and Woolies will stock it. Look for a marinade roast to try first.
    Kangaroo is very lean and very tasty.
  • Dom82
    Dom82 Posts: 235
    Options
    Im the same , I struggle to reach the daily goals and then with my exercise I'm well under. I think this is hurting my weight loss as i think the body is storing it all ( for a rainy day )

I eat 3 meals plus 2 lots of snacks a day. I usually have Chicken in 2 of the meals for the protein.

I know this is an American based site but has anybody had Kangaroo meat? I know a PT who swears by this and highly recommends it , I'm just not brave enough to give it a go.

I quite like kangaroo meat. Some people don't. There is a recipe for kangaroo bolonase (SP????) in the recipe section that looks quite nice :)
  • pinksgirlfriend
    pinksgirlfriend Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    ummm...eat more food,,,,,just a bright idea!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Hi looked at your diary , maybe plan your meals ahead of time , on quite a few days i noticed very small breakfst and lunch and lots of snacks.

maybe biggger meals and less snacks.. just a thought good luck